scoutm

Best Coues Caliber

Best Coues Caliber  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best caliber For Coues Deer Hunting?

• 243 Win / 6mm Rem
    • 270 Win
    • 270 WSM
    • 280 Rem
    • 7mm WSM / 7mm Rem
    • 300 Win Mag / WSM / Rem Ultra
    • Other

Younghunter,

My first rifle was a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 280 (monikered 7mm Express back then). I chose the cartridge because famous deer writer John Wooters chose it for his first custom gun. I almost was persuaded to get a 270, but wanted to different than my friends. Used it to shoot many whitetail in Texas and my first three coues in Arizona. It was traded towards a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rm Mag when they first came out back around 1990. Sometimes I have the urge to get another 280 to fill the void (Casey, you didn't read that).

Doug~RR

Doug, i have a real nice remington 700 bdl 7mm mag that shows under 1" potentail with 120 TSX... make ya sweet deal on it... comes with a Zeiss 3-9x50 conquest already mounted and sighted in. heck, ill even throw in all reloading information, dies, brass, and the TSX i have. just buy me a kimber montana in 300 wsm or 325 wsm and well call it good ;)

Man, not what I expected. I really expected the 7mms to be the caliber of choice. I never expected the 300's to be so popular.

Without a doubt the 25-06 with the 117 gr winchester silvertip. Drops em in their tracks!

Any of the 7mm magnums. The faster the better. 7mm RUM, 7mm STW or 7mm Weathery mag with 140gr bullets would do nicely!

My 7mm Weatehrby mag is sighted for 160gr nosler partitions as I am a "one gun" hunter i.e. I don't change bullets for the game I hunt. I select a bullet which will be effective for the largest game I am planning on hunting i.e. elk.

My 300 Weatherby mag is sighted in for 180gr nosler partition for the same reasons and is my primary hunting rifle.

I've thought about switching to 140's in the 7mm but that would require me to remember two different sets of ballistic numbers (one for the 7mm and one for the 300). As it stands the ballistics are the same for both. :blink:

Longshot

I voted for the 7mm Remington Magnum because that's the caliber I now use for everything from javelinas to elk, eland and moose. It's not the best choice for a 100-pound-tops Arizona whitetail though. More appropriate for this size animal, I think, would be one of the .25 calibers -- .257 Roberts, .25-06, or .257 Weatherby.

Bill Quimby

.300 SAUM rules!!!!!

1 fer 1 on Coues

180 Grain Barnes TSX, 65.5 grains R22 compressed load, ~2875 fps

does 7/8 inch 3 shot groups at 200 yards and weighs in at around 8.5 pounds w/ scope.

Yea I know, it is overkill. I worked up the load for Elk and didn't have time to do one for Coues. Kinda nice when you get a .308 through-and-through shoulder heart shoulder shot and he just falls over dead!

I bought a bunch of loading stuff at Jensens the other day (pissed off the wife), all I need now is a RockChucker and trimmer and I'm set. My buddy that was helping me load moved to Guam so I've got to get geared up to hand load!

Later,

Matt

My current favorite long range round is either a 6x.284 or a 6.5x.284. Both do well on mule deer and ought to be just the ticket for Coues deer I am thinking!

After missing that beutiful 95'' 3x4 2 days in a row last year I'm going to have to vote for a B-52 air strike just to make sure! :lol: