Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Suppressors allowed for hunting in Az

Jan Brewer signed HB 2728 last year allowing AZ hunters to hunt with suppressors legally. I jumped and have a couple ready to go for this fall for me and my kids/nephew. I have heard all the arguments against it, which are mainly questions of ethics, but in my opinion the benefits of shooting suppressed make it worth the $ and pain dealing with the ATF.

Here is my son shooting my 308 suppressed. 168gn Match Ammo 20in barrel.

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/sdking35/media/VID_20130410_155401_374_zps983b51ef.mp4.html

yes to recoil and YES to noise. Although I will deprive my son of being able to claim deafness when his wife wants him to take out the trash or other tasks.

The 160+ decibel report of a rifle is rough on ear drums. Even with plugs or muffs you still get blasted with the sound waves and My suppressor only knocks it down to around 129 decibels. This next part is taken from a site dedicated to hearing loss. Even double hearing protection isn't completely effective.

http://www.noisehelp.com/double-hearing-protection.html

The total protection afforded can't be calculated from the protection levels of the individual devices, because they do not function independently (due to mechanical coupling effects). Also, beyond a certain point, it is not possible to achieve any further attenuation of sound, because even when the airborne pathways have been thoroughly blocked, sound will still be able to arrive at the eardrum by traveling through the skull, via bone conduction.

I jumped and have a couple ready to go for this fall for me and my kids/nephew.

Which route did you go for this, Corp, LLC or Trust? I've been researching the particulars of a trust but know nothing about corporaions or LLC's when it comes to NFA items.

Look out AZ hunters, this will lead to alot of trouble. Don't get to someone's spot before they do, you might have rock flying all around you before you know whats happening. Have a sixth with you while hunting.

I went with the Trust. For me it made sense. Others on my Trust can use them without me being there. When I kick the bucket, my wife/estate/kids will not have to do any transfers. (less 200 bucksx? the ATF won't get) Can be modified without too much trouble. I would have used a LLC as a second choice.

On a side note, my stamp for my 22 should be here in the next 2 weeks. It is a long 6 months. Squirrel hunting 22 subsonic/suppressed is going to be AWESOME. Just saying.

@ CW. Really? When was the last time someone shot at you because you took his spot? Shooting at someone, or intentionally shooting in someones direction to scare them is a felony. Is that what you expect from your fellow hunters? That fear reminds me of all the anti-concealed fears that I have heard over the years.

Squirrel hunting 22 subsonic/suppressed is going to be AWESOME.

Exactly what I have been looking to do. Subsonic and suppressed is an awesome combo!

I have purchased from 2 dealers. Both have Demo Shoots a couple times a year. I will post when and where they are scheduled if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Shot my 308 with the suppressor yesterday and at 100 yards had 4 rounds a dime could cover. Not too shabby. My son will use it on his deer and my nephew if he draws a left over tag. Now to get turrets built.

Cactus J what brand did you go with? How was the recoil?

Mine is a htg predator. It is titanium. Htg dent out of businesses after I bought mine. It wasn't related to the product. The owner had Federal problems with another company he owned. Black rain ord bought them and will start back up. There are many other brands. I bought another 308 can that can go up to 300 ultra mag. Recoil is minimal. Come shoot it with me