Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

Reloading cleaning brass

So I'm thinking of switching from an ultrasonic cleaner to rotary wet tumbling my brass. (fast vs really clean) my concern is I always deprimed and resize my brass before cleaning will I need to resize necks after rotary tumbling due to all the banging around in the tumbler or should there be no difference.

I know mouths of new brass get deformed in packaging, probably happen in the tumbling process too. I clean first then run through the dies.

IME, I have never had to resize brass cleaned in either a vibratory or rotating tumbler. I clean my 9.3x74R brass in one and haven't had any problems (it's really thin and easy to deform). If you're going to switch to a rotating tumbler I would look hard at using stainless steel media. I think that the chances of deforming the case mouth would be nonexistent, even with very large cases, and it really cleans brass.

Yes what Ben said!

However I usually neck size after they are cleaned.

I run a Thulmer's with the SS media and I have not noticed any deforming. With that said, I only deprime prior to cleaning, and then resize afterwards. I know it's doing things twice, but the SS media gets the primer pockets nice and clean, so no need to do that step by hand.

I use the pacesetter dies a lot that deprimed and resize at once. I am going with the SS media. Thanks for the advice I'm gonna give it the old college try and see then if it turns out.

I always use a decap die and deprime all my brass first. Tumble then size. With a universal decap die the deprime goes pretty quick. I'd rather completely rule out any inconsistency's as much as possible.