Sign in to follow this  

Buy a new barrel or buy a new gun?

I have never bought a new barrel, but I am starting to get sick of shooting my magnums without a break. I have 7mag, that kicks like a mule. I put an HS Stock on it, and a timney trigger, so I am reluctant to sell it. I still have the stock barrel on it, and now I want to put a muzzle break on it. The gun is a weatherby vanguard, and I also have another 7 mag that is bone stock and has never been shot.

I am torn on whether to:

A: Buy a new barrel, and put a break on it.

B: Build up the Remington, and ditch the weatherby action.

If I should buy a new barrel, which one/break? and how much can I look to spend on a new barrel with brake installed by a gunsmith?

I am pretty inexperienced at this, but I like to shoot this gun a lot, so I would like to cut the recoil down. Thanks for your input.

My other dilemma I forgot to mention was: I have around 700 rounds down the factory barrel, so I was thinking that if I buy a break, I might as well put it on a new barrel as well. Am I wrong on this thought process?

To cut down the recoil you can either add a break or add weight or shoot lighter loads. A barrel with a heavier contour will add some weight. 700 rounds from a 7 mag is starting to get up there. You are probably at least 40% into the barrel life, depending on your accuracy demands.

To me, all rifles kick from a bench but in field shooting positions it is much less noticeable.

Your probably looking at $310-$350 for a barrel plus another $300-$400 thread, chamber, crown and brake. I don't know how we'll your factory rifle shoots now, but the new barrel should get you under 1/2 MOA.

Sell the weatherby, use the money to buy a new barrel for the remmy.

Sell both and buy a sendero.

A sendero is still just a rem 700 with nothing special other than a hs precision stock and polished reciever. If he already has a rem 700 adding a custom barrel in his desired contour would give him a better shooting gun and better piece of mind knowing he added the barrel of his choice in the contour, length, fluting of his choice.

123456 if you do end up sticking with the rem 700 and want a stock from a sendero, i have one i would sell you for $200. It has been bedded for my sendero but i am wanting to change stocks. It is the black with webbing hs precision w/ palm swell.

Sell both and buy a sendero.

A sendero is still just a rem 700 with nothing special other than a hs precision stock and polished reciever. If he already has a rem 700 adding a custom barrel in his desired contour would give him a better shooting gun and better piece of mind knowing he added the barrel of his choice in the contour, length, fluting of his choice.

+1

If I had a Sendero, I would probably sell it and purchase a basic 700 action and have it trued and then add a custom barrel.

Appreciate all the info guys. Average joe, I prefer my bell and Carlson stocks over the HS. I am not sure which is a better stock, but the feel of the Carlson seems to fit me best. I am really leaning toward building up the Remington, which barrel/break would you guys choose?

Hart, Kreiger, Schneider, broughton and Pac-Nor are know to make great barrels and if you ever plan to shoot prone, I would look for a muzzle brake that doesn't have ports on the bottom. I have a Defensive Edge brake that will be going on my next build.

+1 on brux. I am building a rifle right now with one. I have a bell and carlson stock in the classifieds if you need another one.