Sign in to follow this  
jarheadhunter

Few of my coyote/bobcat pics Long and lots of pics

Bobcat my brother and I called in up I-17 just out of Black Canyon City

post-9509-0-66895000-1371070342.jpg

These two coyotes were in a group of 6 that me and my step father called in while in a contest in WY. I shot 2 with my bolt action and he shot 0 with his AR because he had his scope set to 24X after sighting it in and not checking. We took 3rd place with 3 coyotes that day. There was 13 teams with 3 coyotes and we beat them by weight. Our 3 coyotes weighed 96 lbs.

post-9509-0-89633400-1371070351.jpg

This little guy was unlucky last year while scouting my deer area and smoked him with the AR running about 150 yds out.

post-9509-0-25906700-1371070391_thumb.jpg

This was the second coyote we got this warm late summer day. We were thinking it was too hot to call anything in. Guess we were wrong.

post-9509-0-02037600-1371070410_thumb.jpg

This is my biggest coyote I have ever shot. Had to be over 40 lbs he was a monster. We shot 5 of 6 coyotes this day and that's only because the 6th was so small we felt bad for it and decide to give him some time to grow. I bet it was smaller then a house cat.

post-9509-0-88236800-1371070481_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-40957000-1371070435_thumb.jpg

A few more from that day.

post-9509-0-75269800-1371070468_thumb.jpg

post-9509-0-94962600-1371070510_thumb.jpg

This was probably the second most memorable stand I have ever made. Me and my buddy Steve had gone out probably 5 times before this and had never called in a coyote while hunting together. We spotted this double about 2 miles out with the binos and they were responding to Howls , but wouldn't come in. It was late Feb and they were paired up. Finally after about 40 min of trying we finally found a call they liked and they covered the 2 miles quick and we were able to put both of them down. Was a great hunt.

post-9509-0-78815100-1371070529_thumb.jpg

Here is a few more pics I found. These were all taken in Oregon when myself and a buddy went up there for a coyote contest. This was January of 2012. I had never been to Oregon and he had been a few times and we ended up taking 3rd. Bad thing is that it only paid 1st and 2nd place. It was still a pretty good time. It was a 2 day hunt check in was Friday night and went until Sunday.

Ok this is a picture of where we made our first stand. We actually layed on top of the old blue horse trailer to get some elevation. We had 3 coyotes we could see in a ranchers field by us and we ended up calling in a pair from the opposite direction we were not expecting any to come from. I dropped one at about 20 yds from the trailer it came out behind the white blazer you can see there and the other one disapeared before I could get a shot.

post-9509-0-26766200-1371071267_thumb.jpg

We made our next stand about 1/2 mile from the first and basically were set up in waist high thick sage. We called for about 15 min and as we were calling it quits and standing up I look to my right and see a coyote looking at us about 100 yds away in a little clearing. As I make eye contact he bolts and I try an off hand runnning shot and miss.

Stand 3 we wet up and call no luck.

Stand 4 we start calling on the side of a steep hill over looking a large sage flat. About 2 minutes into the call a big male comes running in from my left and almost runs me over. We were expecting them to come from the flat in front of us. One thing I learned on this hunt was to expect the unexpected. Anyways this big male runs into a cut next to me and I prepare to shoot as he starts going up the other side of the small cut. He starts to come out of the small ravine and I shoot him at about 30 yds going up the other side. We didn't get any pics of the first 3 coyotes as we were more concerned with getting in as many stands as possible.

We move around that same hill about half a mile and walked the whole thing. We knew there had to be some coyotes down in that flat. So as we make it to our next spot we get situated and start calling. At about the 5 minute mark I hear somethng behind me coming down the mountain we were setting on. I stand up and flip around just in time to see a coyote just feet from me. The female hits the skids and flips around and start running away. The R15 puts her down on the second shot at about 15-20 yds. Again expect the unexpected. So we have 3 down and it's only about 10AM.

We make a bunch more stands that day and even get some responses and see some coyotes, but don't have anymore takers until the last stand of the day. Last stand of the day is a pretty cool one. We park the truck on the other side of the road we drove in on as the road is elevated higher then the surrounding country. We set up on a frozen pond because it's the only place where the sage brush isn't so thick we could actually see.

post-9509-0-50723100-1371071367_thumb.jpg

We call for about 10 minutes and I spot a coyote come out of the sage on the other end of the pond. It dissapears behind a small finger that goes out into the pond. I get ready and as soon as the coyote pops over the top of the finger I put one right in his chest and he is DRT at about 100 yds. He might of come in closer, but if I have a good shot I don't hesitate on comp days. Here he is as he laid.

post-9509-0-20035500-1371071347_thumb.jpg

Here is what it looked like from his angle. If you look you can see the truck after my buddy pulled it up while I was retrieving the coyote just to the right of the telephone pole. We were set up just below the truck and to the right a bit.

post-9509-0-17636800-1371071313_thumb.jpg

By this time we hual butt back to check in. We are setting pretty good the first day and I think we were in second place. If you will take note I spotted and shot every one of our coyotes. I don't know what my partner was doing, but he didn't even fire a shot. I felt like a hog not giving him a chance, but then again I am not letting a coyote get away if I have a shot. Here is a pic of the first day.

post-9509-0-23419900-1371071486_thumb.jpg

The second day was a rough one. I bet we had 40+ MPH winds 90% of the day. The morning was pretty calm, but then the wind kicked up. We made our first stand just down the road about 2-3 miles from the blue horse trailer where we had made a stand the previous day. I think it wasn't about 5 min into calling a pair of coyotes is headed our way. I let them get to the call pretty much before I shoot the first one. I start shooting at the second one as it's running through the thick sage and thought I actually hit it once. I am wondering what my partner is doing not even shooting. We end up not finding any sign that I actually hit the second coyote and just pick up the first and continue to our next stand.

The rest of the day is pretty much a bust with the high winds. We see a few bonus dogs while driving to different stands and take some longer shots at them and miss. I think that's the only time my partner actually shoots. Finally about an hour before check in the wind dies down and we make what is probably our last stand for the night. We set up so my buddy is facing one way and I am covering another. I turrn on the Foxpro and I kid you not no more then 30 sec. later I have a hard charging female running at the call. I put one in her chest and she is down about 5 feet behind the caller. By far my fastest stand ever.

post-9509-0-73549200-1371071288_thumb.jpg

We make one or two more stands and go to check in. That is when we find out the results. I don't think we did to bad conssidering we were both from out of state and we beat most of the locals.

There was 20 two man teams all together and we killed over 80 coyotes. Most of the teams avg 3 coyotes. The first place team wins this comp every year they do it I think. They have a very large cattle ranch and lots of private property that I am sure helps them.

1st place= 16

2nd place= 9

3rd place = 6

So I did all the calling, shooting and killing for my team. I guess my partner is just a little slow or something.

Either way it was still a pretty cool place to visit. I think we saw a total of 20 coyotes while there. Some were when the contest wasnt going on and some were on property we couldn't hunt. I will be going back someday. I think there was more coyotes per sq mile there then anywhere I have been in my life.

Sorry its so long.

That's some serious coyote huntin right there. Congratulations on your success.

TJ

Thanks for all the compliments everybody. I would have to say coyote hunting is one of my favorite type of hunting to do. For one its a huge adrenaline rush. Also helps that you don't need a tag and can hunt them year round. Not to mention Utah has a $50 a piece bounty now.