Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, your knowledge is very helpful! Sorry i forgot to mention the gun is a savage model 11/111. I do not own any savage guns so any feedback on them would be appreciated too.

Great rifles for the money with lots of aftermarket parts and accessories if you ever decide to customize a bit in the future. I think you will be very happy with the rifle and the caliber choice.

Stomp,

Don't run the numbers then for the .300 WM, or even the '06 against the .260 slinging bullets such as the heavy'ish Berger or Lapua offerings with BC's exceeding .6 or even .7.

Run the numbers on a 155 .308" scenar in the .308 as well.

There are some really good .308" bullets.

Oh I have. Never said the 260 would out perform the 300 only that it can duplicate the trajectory with 20 grains less powder. I know there are some great heavy 30 cal pills out there but let's be honest, 9 out of 10 hunters using the 308 or 06 are topping out at 180 grains because at that point it makes more sense to jump up to the 300s for the added horsepower and case capacity for the heavies. The fact that the 06 needs to push a 200 grain bullet to even compete with the 260s ballistic performance proves my point on just how good of a cartridge it is. Yeah the 06 will have more energy at long range but not a whole lot more at the cost of much more recoil and powder usage. The 155s are not even in the same ballpark in any category.

FYI, running 185 bergers in a 30-06 has equal wind as a 260 running 140 bergers with 300 pounds more energy, a bigger hole, better barrel life and less radial torque under fire.

The 30-06 and 260 are not in the same category.

• Like 1

i guess everyone's perspective is different. for ME; ........the rifle is more important than the cartridge . the "270, 280, 30-06" thing , is a waste of time and breath . show me the 100 and 500 yard group size. or what ever your max distance is. roninflag

• Like 1

In all honest stomp, it's just fun to egg you on. Any time somebody is so absolute about what is the best it just begs some some attention. That said, I'm sorry I had some fun at your expense. :)

Im so absolute because physics doesn't lie. I have both a 308 and a .30-06 as well as a bunch of 6.5s including a .260 Remington that can and does out shoot both of the 30s in windage and trajectory until the 200 grain bullets are used and even then they are so close why bother with the added powder usage and increased recoil for the same end result.

As far as the barrel ware argument goes we are talking about hunting rifles. The barrel life of any of these cartridges will last longer than most hunters when used in actual hunting scenarios by that I mean normal sight in, practice and actual hunting use.

Well I went ahead and bought it! Im thinking ill load up some 140 berger vlds first and see how they shoot. If u guys don't mind sharing some knowledge again......what powders have you had good results with? Thank you!

Youre welcome.

VLDs are for sure finicky as to how far off the lands they are seated. Or into them for that matter. I think more times than not they like to either just kiss the lands or be just .001-.003" off. Depending on the throat of your rifle, you may not be able to get them far enough. Still try them. Sometimes they'll do ok with some jump. If you don't have any luck with them, try the 140 Amax. They're less sensitive. They also have a noticeably higher BC than what's published. I use .603 from based on double cronies and drop tests. I think Litz from Berger uses .600+/-. They also open up nicely on game. Just keep them out of elk.

Let us know how she shoots.

M

Every one of my savages prefers a 25 thou jump using the Bergers. In fact I only had one rifle ever that preferred them touching the lands.