Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Unit 9 elk help

Hey gang. Sorry to clober the coues sight for elk, but I'll be helping out my buddy's 65 year old father on the early bull hunt in 9 in a week and a half and was wondering if anyone has been out or heard of any big bulls running around up there. Spent the last couple days up there with nothing over 320" running the herds. I would sure like to help make this guys dreams come true with a 370" bull. I didn't get up to the Grandview area yet, which I know holds good bulls each year, but sure not real excited with what I saw in other areas.

320 bulls excite me just fine. 320 is not a small bull by any means. I think if he took one of those he would be just as happy with it as a 370 bull. Any ways about unit nine they are in there. I would think if you are locating heard bulls that you are in the right spot. All I can say at this time is Good luck and stick to the bulls you have lacated because there are bigger ones moving in to take over the herds every day right now.

I hope you do not think i am being a jerk but i just think guys are looking for bulls bigger than they sould be. If you are truly seeing 320 class bulls than you will know they are true trophy bulls. :)

Hey gang. Sorry to clober the coues sight for elk, but I'll be helping out my buddy's 65 year old father on the early bull hunt in 9 in a week and a half and was wondering if anyone has been out or heard of any big bulls running around up there. Spent the last couple days up there with nothing over 320" running the herds. I would sure like to help make this guys dreams come true with a 370" bull. I didn't get up to the Grandview area yet, which I know holds good bulls each year, but sure not real excited with what I saw in other areas.

Grim, where in 9 have you been hunting? I have not hunted unit 9 in a few years now, but used to live in the park and spent lots of time out and about, in fact still have lots, and lots and lots of tree stands around the unit. Not sure I can tell you where there is a big bull, but there are some great areas where we used to see tons of good bulls. send me a pm.

twoguns

It's not like there are 370 bulls standing under every tree. One weekend of scouting and you expect a 370 bull?

That said I hope he has the hunt of a lifetime, and enjoys his time in the field.

PS Anybody know where there is 125 coues deer in 36b that you don't mind telling me about? HA HA

REDDOG

Thanks for the sarcasim jack$!@. reddog, I hope you find the wrong end of a cactus while searching for your 125" buck that is on the right side of the road by the tree, you are not looking close enough reddy! Some hunter....

I agree about a 320". It's a bummer a bull isn't considered big anymore if it's not pushing 400". All I can say is the guy said he has dreamed of a 370" bull, which is enormous, and I would like to do what I can to help him in his quest. heck, he may not be alive for another elk hunt and chances are if a 300" 6 point walks out this guy may shoot it. I just asked because this site seems to have some guys that go up to 9 and you can't hardly talk to anyone these days in any unit that hasn't seen a 370" bull. I'm just looking for some ideas, but since everyone got all upset about it, forget it. Sorry I exist, (Redcat, that should make you happy) and I'll be sure to never help any of you out in the future. Good luck out there, I hope you all learn how to mellow out and not take yourselves so seriously some day and if you don't, maybe you'll drop from heart attack and I'll buy drinks at the bar for all when I hear the news!

talk about taking yourselves to seriously? you hope some body dies and it will make you happy and youll buy some drinks? somebody get rid of this topic! us huntets dont need chit like this on our site!

The point i am trying to make is when you here from guy's saying that they saw a 370 class bull. You are more than likley talking to someone that does not know how to score a bull. When most people see a 370 class bull they probably saw a 330 class bull. There are 370 class bulls in most every unit of AZ. But if every one sees them every time they go into an area than we should see a slew of them being killed. You said my point exacly. When the man sees the first full six point he will probably shoot him Dead and be as pleased as ever with it. I have never once drawn a tag for bull elk in my 24 years of hunting so his first trophy (the tag) i say congrats.

On an end note if I new an area in that unit that had a 370 bull The last thing I would do is tell on an open forum the area for anyone to go look. There are plenty of people on this site that would help you if they new the answer,But not all of us will. That does not mean this site is bad and that you need to take your Hunting equipment a go home. It just means that there are some 370 class bulls in that area and most of them have about six hunters and 10 guides keeping track of them.

I wish you well with your helping this guy out and i hope he drops a 370 bull as i love seeing the photos because i can not draw a tag.I will most likley be the one to die as i Am way to far out of shape this year. So if i die i hope someone cares enough to have drinks all around as well.

Well said Arizona Guide. IMO sharing general locations and info is fine here but if you have specific info it would be better sent via pm. I have learned alot from this site and find most people very helpful. Hopefully it will continue.

Keven

Well said Arizona Guide. IMO sharing general locations and info is fine here but if you have specific info it would be better sent via pm. I have learned alot from this site and find most people very helpful. Hopefully it will continue.

Keven

That was well said, Arizona Guide, and I think you're right about most guys not knowing how big a 370 bull really is. I'm also sure you are right that if a 330 6x6 walked in front of this guy, he wouldn't even hesitate one second, and in the end, he would be proud of a good trophy bull even though "only" 330!

Grim don't be so GRIM!! A little humor never hurt anyone!!

I think if you go back read the post you would see that I was trying to have a little fun, and even if you took it the wrong way and think I am just an a-hole, wishing death on someone is little over the top. Don't you think??

So in response I hope you both have the times of your life and that can "guide" him to a 370++ BULL. And if you do I will be the first to raise a glass to you both. Assming of course I can get the cactus out of my butt!!

Reddog/cat

"guide him", funny. I guess I'll start working for all of our good buddy at USO and be official...heee he! How about we call it an excuse to be in the woods instead of a guided hunt. I am glad to see that someone else actually believes as I do and that 370" elk arn't that common because it is sure hard to hear a hunting story these days without everything being that big or bigger. Heck, just got back from a scouting trip and talked to a hunter wit about a 280" bull (and I congratulated him on his accomplishment) who told me all he saw were a few 370-380" bulls, nothing big. He also said he passed at least 5 350" bulls. I wanted to ask him why he was gutting out a 280" bull then, but why bother you know. Oh well, anyways, I get all your points about telling exact spots on the internet. I'm with you. I was just thinking since that tag was practiclly a once in a lifetime that someone wouldn't mind passing along some help and I just hated to see the smart-alik resposes. My mamma always said if you don't have anything nice to say......Thanks anyways and Reddog, what the heck, go out there and find yourself a 125" buck and make us all drool and be green with envy!

Unit 9 is gonna be a harder hunt than usual because there is more water than I have ever seen. The elk are spread more and dont need to congregate to the waterholes that hold water the longest.

That being said, start checking the holes that have wallows.......here are some good ones out there.

Send me your e-mail address and i'll show you what a true 370 bull looks like. Mine is laurynkeevan@cox.net

grim just get out and scout u aint gonna find a 370" bull sitting on the internet....im not trying to be rude...just get out in the woods that is where your answer will lie...not on the internet...scouting will increase your success i believe it...good luck on the hunt and i hope he makes his "dreams come true"....although any elk should do it....the people who get big elk work there a$$es off to get them..

I saw a 380 class bull in 6a south last weekend and told my shooter "whatever you do don't look at his rack".This bull was so long and thick everywhere he made my knees knock.After three days of guiding he missed a 300" in 5x5 at 45 yards and I had to return home.The wind was a nightmare and made locating them a bugger.We found most of our bulls by hiking with the wind in our face on the edges of canyons that were close to the flats(where pines meet pinyons).Good luck and hope you get the "big"one your after!