Sign in to follow this  
Zim

Unit 12AW

I am a nonresident who drew a deer tag for 12AW late this year. I noticed deer tag holders have the option of buying a bison tag in the unit for reductions. I know bison numbers are low there, but just want to poke around and get confirmation if it's worth looking into further. Thanks.

Contact Lance @ Timberland outfitters. They put a healthy amount of Bison down each year in 12a. He is a member of this site, and his guide service has a great track record.

The buffalo seem to hang right on the national park boundary. If you go scouting before your hunt, it is not hard to see where they have been. They will stay in the park if they get too much pressure, just need to do your research and hope to be in the right place at the right time. I have seen them a few times while up in 12aw, but I would not call it a regular occurrence.

Good luck on a great tag.

I would contact Lance w Timberland Outfitters. Definitely worth looking into. Good luck, and congrats on a great tag.

leave our buffalo alone, just kidding I would personally concentrate on that deer tag of a life time. you could be in heavy snow during that hunt. goodluck

If you are not going to hire a guide then set some cams. If you don't know where the bison are at the just focus on your deer tag. If I had the $$ I would definantly be contacting lance. My cousin shot a bison a few years back on his Kiabab hunt. It was pure luck. He's the only one I know of that has landed a bison without a guide during a deer hunt there. Congrats on the tag!

Congrats on the great tag. My brothers have that tag also. We have been on that hunt for the past 20 years with friends, family, and clients. Would be happy to point you in the right direction if you dont know the area. If I were you, I wouldnt bother with a Buffalo tag. They stay up around, or in the Park. Not where you will be concentrating on finding a great Mulie. Also the tag is not cheap. Have only seen a few in the recent years. 20 years ago they were all on the east side around Houserock. Good luck and pray for the Rut!!!

If I Had Your Deer Tag I Would Be Looking Forward To Shooting A Big Buck And A Big Buffalo! :) But Thats Just Me... ;)

• Like 1

Would be nice if the Herd would be there in late November like that, but not likely. There is a few taken on that late deer hunt, but very scarce at that time.