Sign in to follow this  
aguas

Archery Strip Question

I was lucky enough to draw a archery strip tag this year with my buddy. I dont know the unit yet, of course it is either 13B or 13A archery. I live up in the white mountains and my buddy lives in the valley. I will be taking off a month of work, one week before the hunt and the entire hunt. Each person I talk to up my way tells me to NOT get a guide and get-r-done myself.. Each person my buddy talks to in the valley tells him to for sure get a guide.

I just wanted to ask anyone that has been to an archery strip hunt or knows someone who has been, what they would recommend. Im not lookin to kill a 220 inch muley (though I would love something that big), I would be extremely pleased with a 180 class buck.

Any pointers would be grateful!

• Like 1

Everyone I know that has had that tag has not hired a guide. That said, they pulled 190's and a 208 out of there..

I would hire a guide . I know some guides up there right now!! Trust me they know a lot more than the average hunter!

I would at least talk to some it will help you make a decision. If you need me to drop some names let me Know!

When the strip has a dry year antler growth wise like last year and like this year, i think getting a guide is a good call. There are far less big bucks to find on the dry years and a whole bunch of country to look at. When it's a wet year there are good bucks scattered everywhere , and finding one isn't super hard. I would say this is a dry year up there and you will have to look twice as hard to find a good deer. It would be a good call to get the guide this year, and arizona strip bucks guide service is who i would call for sure. Good luck and have fun.

Az Strip Bucks offers a scout package which I used last year. Some of the others offer a limited guide option for less $. I would call all the guides and see what they can offer you.

AZGFD gets you started, some others might help narrow those general areas down to focus on, but guides will put you on specific bucks using specific waters and help you get them.

Don't be afraid to talk to other hunters up there. A lot are monster 200+ or nothin hunters and may turn you onto some spots with sub 200 bucks that they're not interested in.

Also consider how much pressure you're willing to put up with. Some areas pull more tag holders than others for good reason but there are other spots as well.

And go prepared! Help can be a long way off depending on where you are. The benefit of a quality guide is obvious but DIY is doable. I spent the whole season up there solo and I didn't tag out but that was my fault. Either way you go, good luck.

Thanks guys... I appreciate any an all of the info you are giving me... I will definitely contact as many outfitters I can and just ask questions...

KaibabHunter, did you kill last year? Do you think you would have killed had you not gotten that scouting package?

No I didn't kill but had my chances. It was a tough hunt.

I crunched the numbers for me to scout myself vs the package and very quickly realized the package was worth it and the intel I could gain vs Matt wouldn't compare. I would do it again.

Excellent advice kaibab hunter. I had 13b archery in 2011. I did it myself and went up 14 days early and hunted the whole hunt, 34 days or so in a row. I easily spent enough money to get a scouting package from arizona strip bucks if not more. When you factor all the wear and tear on your vehicle and gear its quit expensive in the long run to do it yourself. If i ever draw the tag again i will def. do it differently. Plus by getting the scouting package you save yourself the wear down effect of being up there to long before the hunt even starts, which makes it a lot harder to stay focused for the 21 day hunt once it begins. This is probably the most important thing the guides help with more than anything which is mental fatigue from being there to long. A scouting package will allow you to go up 3 or 4 days before the hunt instead of 10, and by the time you get half way thru the hunt it will make a diff. in your ability to stay in the blind for longer.

Thanks so much for all the info, I have been talking to MDA and Ryan Hatch but I want to talk to a few other outfitters as well... I really appreciate all the help...

If you can get someone to tell you an area that has some bucks, do several scouting trips without going bankrupt or losing your family, then I would try going alone!

Second getting ahold of Matt with Arizona strip bucks. And don't get him confused with Arizona strip guides. Matt Shimberg is the man when it comes to the strip.

I was working up there near St. George last August and did a bunch of hiking and glassing to just kill time. Found some nice bucks (PM sent). If I had that tag and the $$ to hire a guide, I would defiantly hire one. Lynn Johnson is another guide you might look into. One thing about the guides up there they defiantly know where the big boys are. But DIY is very possible also especially if you are up there for a month. Good Luck.

I would hire Matt Shimberg, or at least get a scouting package from him. With it being dry this Spring the big bucks will be harder to find and there won't be as many. I've spent time in both units, and with a couple scouting trips you'll likely spend enough money for a scouting package. Last year it was a tough hunt for most archery hunters, but I bet a lot of them still enjoyed the awesome country and the challenge the strip archery hunt can provide!

Do yourself a favor and call Kory Bundy from At First Light Outfitters. He and his dad know that country VERY well and have a ranch in the middle of the Strip. They will work something out with you and it will be thousands less than the "other" guides on the mountain. His number is 435-668-8063