Sign in to follow this  
andy c

Early 36c

My advice would be to go on az g&f website and get some ideas where to hunt, and then buy a topo map from wide world of maps of the area you choose and then glass, glass, glass. Then glass some more. I have friends that hunt 36C and I'll get some general ideas for you.

Mike gave you the best advice. Check-out the G&F website, hunting unit reports section. Look at the ranch roads that they list. Any one of them will get you to the foot of the mountains, then all you have to decide is whether to hunt high (hiking your butt off :blink: ) or hunt low (with the masses :o ). There will be deer to be found with either choice. ;)

S.

You can access thru Kings Anvil ranch to canyons like Solano and Redondo. No ATV's on the Kings anvil.

Access into Thomas is good. Ranches like the Santa Margarita and Shaffer don't let you through, so its a long hike to get behind.

Access into Brown is very limited, as the hike around the BANWR houses and no-hunt zones is nasty,brushy.

Drive down to Sasabe and glass along the highway to find a canyon with terrain suitable to your ability. Look on the map to find the road to it, if accessible, and go for it.

http://azgfd.com/h_f/hunting_units_36c.shtml

Most are not prone to give specific spots where they hunt or where their friends hunt.

The AZ Hunters Who Care cleanup is Oct 21 and would be a good chance to meet some hunters, help clean a ranch in 36c, generate good karma, and maybe get some good info while helping for a day.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...amp;#entry45057

RR

I've just scouted 2 days down here--have seen a few WT--some mulies too--tons of Border Patrol and aliens too. Even turned some in and they were captured. Best advice-- do the website thing on AZGFD like did and find water--if you can--lots of dry tanks. I didn't find scouting too difficult. Take the previous advice in the forum to heart--it is right on.--Good Luck!!!!

Andy welcome to the site and congratulations on your 36c tag you are going to have the time of your life. First off 36 C stinks as a unit for hunting. If I were you I wouldn't scout; waste of time and gas. No need to worry about actually shooting a deer. There really are no deer here. We put in for this unit as a ruse to make our wives actually think we are hunting. It is actually a Huge! Huge! beer blast. Forget the rifle, just bring a 32 oz. plastic cup so you won't have to wait too many times in the long keg lines. Some of the big boys recommend the 48 oz magnums, but I find that the kick is too harsh and I am still pulling out cactus from the last time I tried the 48s. Here is this years itinerary for the festivities:

Thursday Oct 26:

Battle of the camp stereos begins at dusk. Heavy Death Metal vs Mafioso Ranchera is the featured contest . My money is on the accordians this year. Everyone loves a polka. 10:00 pm sharp is the pallet burning contest. I can almost smell it now.

Friday Oct 27:

The ATV endurance race begins at dawn. The idea is to drive your ATV the entire day without stopping. (except for piss breaks of coarse). For Friday night activites see Thursday.

Saturday October 28:

"Wish we could round up all the illegals contest." The idea behind this one is to find the most disinterested border patrol agent in proportion to the number of illegals you report. Last years winner got a yawn and the shoulder shrug after reporting a group of 44. Saturday night festivities include the resight in your rifle contest combined with the spotlight the cactus contest that continues until dawn.

Sunday October 29: "Race to Glendale contest." Break camp early. Drive back to Phoenix and see if you can scalp some of those Cardinal season tickets you are stuck with. There will probably be only one or two winner on this one, so you need to leave early. Losers have to watch the game.

As you can see Andy this is going to be one heck of a weekend you need to rest up.

No thanks needed,

Bob

My advice would be to go on az g&f website and get some ideas where to hunt, and then buy a topo map from wide world of maps of the area you choose and then glass, glass, glass. Then glass some more. I have friends that hunt 36C and I'll get some general ideas for you.

thanks mikep I have some maps & did the g&f web stuff , I guess the easy part is done I'm not real sure on the access areas yet . how much problem are the IA's? should I keep a dog in camp?

thanks mikep I have done some scouting (twice) And I did see some both mulies and coues does and 3 small bucks .how much prob. are the IA's and should I bring a dog for camp

thanks mikep I have done some scouting (twice) And I did see some both mulies and coues does and 3 small bucks .how much prob. are the IA's and should I bring a dog for camp

Andy welcome to the site and congratulations on your 36c tag you are going to have the time of your life. First off 36 C stinks as a unit for hunting. If I were you I wouldn't scout; waste of time and gas. No need to worry about actually shooting a deer. There really are no deer here. We put in for this unit as a ruse to make our wives actually think we are hunting. It is actually a Huge! Huge! beer blast. Forget the rifle, just bring a 32 oz. plastic cup so you won't have to wait too many times in the long keg lines. Some of the big boys recommend the 48 oz magnums, but I find that the kick is too harsh and I am still pulling out cactus from the last time I tried the 48s. Here is this years itinerary for the festivities:

Thursday Oct 26:

Battle of the camp stereos begins at dusk. Heavy Death Metal vs Mafioso Ranchera is the featured contest . My money is on the accordians this year. Everyone loves a polka. 10:00 pm sharp is the pallet burning contest. I can almost smell it now.

Friday Oct 27:

The ATV endurance race begins at dawn. The idea is to drive your ATV the entire day without stopping. (except for piss breaks of coarse). For Friday night activites see Thursday.

Saturday October 28:

"Wish we could round up all the illegals contest." The idea behind this one is to find the most disinterested border patrol agent in proportion to the number of illegals you report. Last years winner got a yawn and the shoulder shrug after reporting a group of 44. Saturday night festivities include the resight in your rifle contest combined with the spotlight the cactus contest that continues until dawn.

Sunday October 29: "Race to Glendale contest." Break camp early. Drive back to Phoenix and see if you can scalp some of those Cardinal season tickets you are stuck with. There will probably be only one or two winner on this one, so you need to leave early. Losers have to watch the game.

As you can see Andy this is going to be one heck of a weekend you need to rest up.

No thanks needed,

Bob

could I bring some evening female entertainment for you're camp?

thanks mikep I have some maps & did the g&f web stuff , I guess the easy part is done I'm not real sure on the access areas yet . how much problem are the IA's? should I keep a dog in camp?

Thursday Oct 26:

Friday Oct 27:

Saturday October 28:

No thanks needed,

Bob

could I bring some evening female entertainment for you're camp?

Only after the male bonding he-man get naked and play the drum next to the burning pallet night.

Pretty much any place in 36C will hold some good bucks, I have seen some real quality bucks in there this year. If you are worried about illegals and want to camp there is usually a temporary camping city back on the Elk Horn ranch. It is a good place to use as base camp with lots of people around.

Good luck!

I heard a small blib on 5 news Friday night about shutting down the whole Buenos Aries Wildlife Refuge for several months because of border issues. Has anyone else heard this? I have e-mailed 5 news for the whole story.

Will