Sign in to follow this  
Camofreak

A Question about The Strip????

Alright got a couple questions for all of you..

So in a unit with such a low population density, how are we shooting such big deer out of here every year? Shouldnt the population be decreasing along with the big bucks?

Also, where do these deer come from? Utah? Or are these Az deer that stay there year round? Do all the retired big bucks go up there to die or something?

Bryan

1. Good Genetics

2. Lots of older age class bucks

3. Good Buck to Doe ratios

4. Migratory Herd concentrating deer in winter habitat

5. Rut Hunt

6. Altenative Mgmt for higher success

to name a few.

Nick

I agree with all but #4 on Heats list. At least if we are talking about the strip. Which in most if not all assumptions means 13A and 13B. The Kiabab has migrations but is in most circles not considered the strip.

The big deer are a result of management. The Kiabab would produce more and most likely even bigger deer. However the tag numbers prevent the majority of them from reaching that age class. If my memory is right, the deer genetics on the strip are a result of transplanting deer there from the Kiabab. Very few deer taken allow for old bucks and thusly BIG Antlers!

I think that there is good genetics south of the grand canyon in those less popular units also. I've seen quite a few nice bucks in them. The problem is that they manage the deer poorly in them.

• Like 1

most will agree that "The Strip" is most coveted mule deer tag in all the West ? These units are managed for older aged bucks,i.e. Trophy Hunts for a better word ... ALL units,below the Canyon are managed for Opportunity Hunts,though some genetics are likely their,as well ? All serious Mule Deer Hunters should have this "13 Tag" in pocket at least once in their lifetime,Good Luck

post-11124-0-62202400-1375297468_thumb.jpg

Well, the reason I was asking was because I was just trying to learn on where these deer migrated from, which they don't from what Im reading. Also because my dad, brother, and uncle all have 13a tags.

Which end of the unit do you think holds the most deer? Or is it about the same throughout?

When I had 13A for pronghorn the only deer I saw were on the S end. Its the real definition of "Big Country". Gas up the truck, throw in an extra spare, plug kit, and lots of water and go check it out!

Good Luck,

Nick

post-2759-0-63735700-1375324233_thumb.jpg

Most of the deer population in 13A is crammed down in the south west corner. Maybe half to two thirds is flat antelope country. Occasionally you see deer way out there but very rare. There are a few pockets out there that occasionally hold deer but its a gamble.

13A is a great unit, but your success will definitely be somewhat dependent on the weather. One year up there was very hot when I hunted, and we knew the deer were there, but we never saw anything but doe during the daylight hours until the last day or so. Then the bucks I saw were mostly younger guys that needed some more years of growth. The only giant I saw was near dark, and I never got a clear shot at him. The second time I got the tag, the weather was much colder. It was a much better hunt.

In a unit with sparse population, it never hurts to find the water and the food they like.

• Like 1

All I can say is bring a lot of fuel...you will be a long way from a gas station. Also...Have fun, its a great hunt, wont see a lot of big bucks but there could be a giant around any juniper tree.

usually yes,but a few Season back 13A had better quality taken.Those B.C. bucks travel between both units ? ... and FYI, 13B bucks go West into Nv. unit 27, OH MY !!!

Awesome! Thanks guys, you answered alot of my questions! I really appreciate it. I'm sure we can find a couple of good bucks to put down! There not looking for the biggest and baddest but are definitely looking for a quality buck.