So I have never hunted for bear before. I plan on buying a tag for the upcoming season on the 10th. I have a couple questions for you more experienced than me.

We have been getting numerous bears on our cameras in years past (when scouting for elk) and one came in on my dad sitting a tank during elk season last year. So I know there are numerous bears in the area but don't necessarily have a great plan of attack. Ideally I would like to try calling, since I know bears are in the area. When calling, are electronic calls allowed? Even if they are, am I better off with hand calls? Any sound/call recommendations? I was thinking fawn in distress (high population of deer in the area) or rabbit distress? Also, how long of calling sequences do you guys call for? Do you call the entire time? How long do you stay in one spot calling?. I've seen recently some members have had success calling so it seems a good way to start.

When sitting water, is there a prime time? The usual morning/evening? Or do bears like afternoon drinks? Sitting and glassing is out, due to the terrain (too dense) so I assume my only other option is to stumble across one while hiking.

Anyways sorry for the ignorant questions, just don't have much experience at all with bears. Would love to hear what has worked for you in the past. Thanks for any input!

Go look up a member on here named Kidso, read everything he has posted, do what he does. You should kill a bear within 10 minutes, thats what all the other guys here did ;)

• Like 5

Kidso is the man! He also takes very sexy Bear pictures:)

Understanding Bears takes time. I highly recommend calling the Bear Biologist for that unit and ask a lot of questions. They have a lot of good intel to share.

Find a good water source and sit all day. I have seen more Bears from 12-dark than in the mornings. If the Bears are eating akorns they will water several times a day.

Good luck

Adam

Find a good water source and sit all day. I have seen more Bears from 12-dark than in the mornings. If the Bears are eating akorns they will water several times a day.

Good luck

Adam

If you get bored sitting water, plan on calling about a dozen rugged canyons in a day. Electronic callers are allowed, but I learned to call on hand calls, so I have stuck with what has worked for me. I too have had more bear responses in the latter half of the day, but it is like a 60 to 40 split, so make sure to be out before dawn as well. Be patient and be willing to commit a solid hour or more on a stand if you have fresh sign nearby.

I too am interested in this topic. I will be hunting them for the first time as well this season. Do you guys call for bears all day or only in the mornings/evenings? I was wondering, cause I would have thought that they might be very motionless during the day,due to bedding down somewhere out of the heat.

I too am interested in this topic. I will be hunting them for the first time as well this season. Do you guys call for bears all day or only in the mornings/evenings? I was wondering, cause I would have thought that they might be very motionless during the day,due to bedding down somewhere out of the heat.

I call all day. They do bed down in the heat, but if you are calling into rugged canyons or thickets with bedding areas and are right on top of them, they might just come on out! Or occasionally they may decide to take a drink in the middle of a hot day and you can entice them to the call if they are already on the move.

/>

I call all day. They do bed down in the heat, but if you are calling into rugged canyons or thickets with bedding areas and are right on top of them, they might just come on out! Or occasionally they may decide to take a drink in the middle of a hot day and you can entice them to the call if they are already on the move.

Any recommended calls??

Adam

If you get bored sitting water, plan on calling about a dozen rugged canyons in a day. Electronic callers are allowed, but I learned to call on hand calls, so I have stuck with what has worked for me. I too have had more bear responses in the latter half of the day, but it is like a 60 to 40 split, so make sure to be out before dawn as well. Be patient and be willing to commit a solid hour or more on a stand if you have fresh sign nearby.

I also am looking to go out looking for bears on the 10th and have very little experience. I have been out glassing in the areas where I am told there are bears but when I look out into the canyon it looks like the freakin Grand Canyon. Even if I saw a bear I would have no idea how to harvest it. Am I in too big of an area should I downsize my canyon size?

I have been out glassing in the areas where I am told there are bears but when I look out into the canyon it looks like the freakin Grand Canyon.

I see the same thing, which is why I have never been good at glassing and prefer to call for bears! I lack the patience to glass effectively, but enjoy moving from ridge to ridge and calling fresh areas. Big canyons are great for glassing bears and their smaller and thicker feeder canyons are great spots for calling them. Good luck to all!

• Like 1