Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Polaris Quad problem

I have an older Polaris quad. It has always ran great. Never been in the shop. All of a sudden it has no power when going up hill. On flat surfaces it runs perfect. Once you start going up hill it still runs, but no power. On a steep hill it sputters a little. I have cleaned the carb, changed the spark plug, added fuel conditioner, etc and it helped, but still not right.

????

I just had a similar issue with my ranger. After alot of research I figured out it was my fuel pump gone bad. Dealership wanted $500, I bought the part and installed it myself for $130.

In my research other potential causes are dirt/ debri in gas tank, clogged fuel screen, pinched gas line or vent line, or exhaust over heating gas causing vapor lock.

Mine started sputtering like it wasn't getting gas no matter the incline and had to limp it back to camp. I test drove it last night and it seems to be running good.

thanks!

$500 for a fuel pump? I bought one for $60 on EBAY last year and put it on in less than 10 minutes.

I've found some good info on a Polaris forum --- you might ask there: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/

Not sure about the Polaris EFI, but sometimes there are small fuel ,overflow/Return, lines that can get plugged and not allow the fuel system to breath. I had that problem on my Sportsman, but it is a 2006 carbureted model.

Being that you said you cleaned the carb, you wouldn't have a fuel pump. EFI units have a fuel pump and no carburetor. I had the same issue with my Polaris years ago, I was riding in the Winchesters and thought I was having an elevation issue. I later learned my fuel filter was needing changed. It was hidden about 8" from the carb, it's white plastic with red barbs. I switched it out and back to normal, I keep an extra in the box now.

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 EFI. I was having the same problem for over a year. The shop wanted put in a new fuel pump/tank for $700. I passed. Finally I figured out that the problem only occured going up/ down a hill WHEN the fuel tank was under 1/2 full. I still need to pull the tank to figure out the cause.. Fuel slosh and or vacume/venting problems? For now I just keep it filled until I can get to it.

Mark

I ordered a new fuel filter. We will see. I do not have EFI and definitely do have a fuel pump.

Not sure if you had a typo, if its carbureted, it's only gravity fed no fuel pump. Good luck