Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Scouting 35a

Got back from scouting 35a , To sum it up,Frustrated! 1st scout trip saw 3 bucks, this trip saw flock of turkeys, herd of Javelina, couldn't find the bucks though, only saw 3 whitetail does & three mulie does.It has me wondering where to be opening morning. Hopefully I'll have time for one more trip. Is Whitetail hunting always this frustrating? B)

What? You only saw a few does... Welcome to the land of hunter opportunity

If I new 35a at all I would help you out, but only hunted it once.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted

mulie hunter,

You drove all the way from Arizona city! To scout for an 80 pound greyhound with antlers? Your friends on the strip must think you are crazy. For general information, one thing that I think the experts leave out on their glass glass glass advice is that you have to be in an area that is glassable. There are many places in 35 A that probably contain lots of whitetails, but I would consider unglassable due to the thick vegetation. I like to pick spots where individual cactus are visable. I figure if I can make out the different cactus forms I could also pick out a deer bedded. I will pm you with some spots to check out.

Bob

I agree compared to a Mulie they're small deer, but they seem alot harder to hunt. It takes about 2 hours to drive to Canelo from Arizona city, It's located between Tucson & Phoenix. Thanks Bobbyo for the good advice. B)

canelo hills give better glassing opporunities than the huachucas, try to hunt either the canelo hills or the smaller hills at the base of huachuca mtns, try to avoid the east side of the mountains from miller to dry canyon...lots of hunters there, stick to the north and west side around canelo, avoid hunters and have "calmer" deer to deal with, they'll be very scattered due to huge rains out there

Thanks elkhunter, I've noticed the area is very wet, streams running, water everywhere. I need the calmer deer, and maybe they are scattered out, that's why were seeing low numbers. B)