Sign in to follow this  
hunter07

Quail

What area looks the most promising for quail this season. Some say its going to be the best season in a while, but i just havent seen to many around lately. Well other then in my back yard and running down the middle of the street?

I don't think that the overall population of quail is that high right now, we had to dry of a winter and a spring. The people that are saying that it is going to be a great year I'm guessing are talking specifically about mearns.

If you find an area that has year round water there will be fair numbers of quail.

I would tend to agree with missedagain on this. At least with gambels it should be a fair year, especially in the areas with good water. Anyone with some honey holes should do fairly well in their usual haunts. I know I'm planning on a limit. ;)

Good luck all!

S.

:)

will be hittin it hard this weekend with a few buddies of mine.

cant wait for mearns as a buddy of mine and his two muts usually hook up for a days worth of mearns hunting. aint that right scottyboy!

Gambels and Scaled quail need good winter rains to have a good hatch. They need that boost of Vitamin D from the little sprouts of new growth to set off the mating season in Mar.. As we know, it was the driest winter and spring on record.. that, in turn, will reflect on the numbers of birds seen in the field this season..

Mearns on the other hand need good monsoon rains to have a good hatch. They nest in July and Aug and somethimes even Sept. Hence the later opening date for the season on them. It just gives them time to grow up! And as we all know, it was a SUPER monsoon season down south.. there should be plenty of them down in the grasslands this winter for sure..

And where there's good Mearns numbers, you should see this quite often!! Look familiar Casey??

Last05-06hunt007.jpg

I'll be at my honey hole this weekend, I should limit on Gambel's quail. I don't know about other areas of the state but the area I hunt is loaded with Quail. B)

If all goes well (been sick all week) I will be joining mulie hunter. and if I shoot half as good as he does I will do alright too.