Danny

Another noob with questions

I was lucky enough to pull a Whitetail tag for an October hunt here in Arizona. Im almost 40, but this will be my first deer hunt (daddy didn't hunt and all that), so I'm trying to do as much research as possible so I don't go home empty handed.

I actually found this site while searching for info on everything from tactics on finding deer to how to gut a deer. Can anyone recommend a website with this type of info (there are lots of good posts here, but I didn't see any sections with "hunting how to's", or maybe a good book if you know of one. Ive got a million questions but i dont want to post them all here.

Also is it too early to start scouting? I'm assuming its not, but I'm not sure how much patterns may change in 2 more months when the weather cools off a bit.

Danny,

I would start with this book http://store.coueswhitetail.com/hunting-books/.

It will give you some key points and the minimum equipment you need to have to increase your "chances -opportunities ".

Lol- signed after glassing lessons-7 years ago- he also teaches glassing lessons

You must have the best optics you can afford.

Google , " gutless field dressing" . That will give you an idea and how to DVDs are Avail!

Never too early to start scouting. Drive some roads. Get there early and learn to glass.

Good luck

Az

post-898-0-04245700-1377034982_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-84862000-1377035024_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome! There are hundreds of websites however if you are hunting AZ Coues whitetail you will be hard pressed to find a site with more resource information than this one. Its never to late to become a hunter, what unit did you get drawn for?

Click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen and type in the different topics you have questions about such as equipment, clothing, glassing, caring for the animal etc.

For most Coues hunters it a matter of getting deep in the unit, sitting behind your binoculars and glassing, glassing & more glassing. The latter end of the fall season tends to be more dry (even more than usual) so get a good Forest Service map and locate your water sources.

Let us know what unit you got drawn for and when?

What gun do you plan to use?

What equipment you already have etc?

Duwayne Adam and Tony Mandile wrote a book together. "How to hunt coues deer. Great book lots of info. Check the coues whitetail store I think it is for sale there. Also ask questions a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. You won't find better info about hunting in Arizona anywhere else.

• Like 2

You Tube should have plenty of field dressing videos, including the gutless method. Although I haven't read it, I have heard Dwayne Adams' book on glassing is a good read with plenty of good tips. I would start scouting if you have the time, bucks are pretty well developed now.

Good luck on your first deer hunt, best of luck to you!

Please keep us posted on how it goes, good or bad.

Danny,

I would start with this book http://store.coueswhitetail.com/hunting-books/.

It will give you some key points and the minimum equipment you need to have to increase your "chances -opportunities ".

You must have the best optics you can afford.

Google , " gutless field dressing" . That will give you an idea and how to DVDs are Avail!

Never too early to start scouting. Drive some roads. Get there early and learn to glass.

Good luck

Az

One of the concerns I had was finding a book that applied to desert terrain. This one seems to fit the bill and a few of you guys recommended it. I'm going to get it ordered. Thanks !

Danny,

I've seen coues at 3000ft all the way up to 9000. The techniques and strategy ( depending on your hunt style) can apply at any elevation.

Give us some details on your hunt ( unit, etc) And some may chime in on the terrain and what you can expect.

Az

Welcome! There are hundreds of websites however if you are hunting AZ Coues whitetail you will be hard pressed to find a site with more resource information than this one. Its never to late to become a hunter, what unit did you get drawn for?

Click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen and type in the different topics you have questions about such as equipment, clothing, glassing, caring for the animal etc.

For most Coues hunters it a matter of getting deep in the unit, sitting behind your binoculars and glassing, glassing & more glassing. The latter end of the fall season tends to be more dry (even more than usual) so get a good Forest Service map and locate your water sources.

Let us know what unit you got drawn for and when?

What gun do you plan to use?

What equipment you already have etc?

I was drawn for unit 21 (I'm in Arizona) . I have a friend that said he saw a couple deer on his Javelina hunt and could at least put me on the general area. As far as equiptment I have a 30.06 with a prostaff scope, but I'm considering buying a better rifle and scope for the hunt. I also have a pair or vortex binos .

Sounds like you are ready to go! Rifle preferences are like food....everyone has an opinion however for what you are doing that rifle is MORE than enough. Get yourself a tripod and just prepare to glass. As mentioned before scouting is key.

Email Amanda ( site admin) and get your free coueswhitetail sticker..

so when you pick your kids up along with the gutless videos they know you mean Business :)

• Like 3

You don't need a new rifle, a 30-06 will do just fine on a coues. I took my first 2 with my ruger M77 in 30-06 pushing 168 gr Winchester supremes. Maybe upgrade the scope if you want. What power binos do you have? Do you have a tripod? If not, get one, it's an absolute MUST HAVE for effective glassing. Other then that, be in the best shape possible, get some quality boots, and get out there and learn your unit.

I don't have a tripod. Any differences between the sporting goods ones vs photo ones? I'll take any recommendations for a decent one.

Make sure you can ID your deer 100% - both muleys and white-tails are abundant thru out most units . don't just shoot the first thing you see with antlers. Not uncommon to see bucks running together of both species. the time of year and the heat will have a lot in where deer hold up.

A lot of this info should be covered in the book you ordered . water will be key to where deer call home.

good luck

deer can be found as close as cavecreek , all the way to camp verde.