Sign in to follow this  
flatline

Unit 23

Anyone else hunt the north end of unit 23 and everywhere you go you hear or see them f#cking hounds. Every time deer started to come in dogs started howling and deer disappeared. Wasn't that good of a weekend for me. Will try again but may have to hunt in another area of the unit.

Was up there in 2008 for a bear hunt and heard the same thing. I can see how it wouldn't be so good while hunting deer...good luck next time.

It was opening for archery black bear in 23N this weekend too so a lot of hunting pressure. I just got up here but am hunting M-W. wish me luck.

Good luck. Don't get me wrong i knew it was also bear season cause i have that tag to,but dogs ruined it cause i was seeing bear to till then.

Was up there in 2008 for a bear hunt and heard the same thing. I can see how it wouldn't be so good while hunting deer...good luck next time.

Thanks will need it,LOL

Speaking of hounds in 23. We were sitting on our hills when we heard a hound howling during the mid-morning. I was getting sleepy so I figured I'd still hunt in the direction of the hound. Forty five minutes later, I see the flick of white, nock an arrow and out comes a 2-3 year old hound dog. He had a collar which said he lived in Young. We gave him a ride back to the general store when we went to pick up some ice at lunch. Someone came in the store who knew his owner and took him home.

Too bad. He was a sweet dog and I would have kept him.

post-5606-0-52677500-1377662670_thumb.jpg

That was the talk this morning among us hunters here was the lost dog. I'm getting quite frustrated as all I'm seeing is does n fawns. I heard the dogs this am but then caught wind of the lost pooch. What I heard all last night was the freaking elk bugeling and was waking up every time they did which felt like 2 or 3 times an hour. Nonetheless, I love it up here but I just want to see 1 buck......I'll take a spike.

I run across a few Ranch Dogs that just like to get out and run often finding a doe to chase and run down. Biggest problem is a lone dog can become an easy target for a big Tom or a pack of yotes.

This thread sounds pretty" cry me a river"... IMO. The hounds are not any worse than any other recreational intrusion (to many to list) into your day of hunting... We have suffered from many intrusions over the years but as long it isn't an Anti, I really just try my best to get over it any more... I love hounds and Hound hunters... they are a deer hunter's Best friend... you can't love them only when it is convenient to you, IMO.

• Like 3

This thread sounds pretty" cry me a river"... IMO. The hounds are not any worse than any other recreational intrusion (to many to list) into your day of hunting... We have suffered from many intrusions over the years but as long it isn't an Anti, I really just try my best to get over it any more... I love hounds and Hound hunters... they are a deer hunter's Best friend... you can't love them only when it is convenient to you, IMO.

I'm sorry you feel that this thread is a cry me a river,But i put my time in scouting this area for months and i was just venting,I also know guys that run hounds and i like them to.

Guest akaspecials

It's pretty sad that you can't commiserate with people that have spent all spring and summer carrying salt and running cams that are a little frustrated that on opening morning there were hounds running all over the dang mountain. It's public land, and they have a right to be there, but it's pretty dang frustrating. I guess you're lucky enough and have been around long enough to know where they run hounds in this state.... Some of us aren't as fortunate and had opening weekend (and 3 of my 10 vacations days) ruined by people running hounds. I hope in the future you can understand why some people have heart burn with hounds running by thier treestands multiple times during a day...

It's pretty sad that you can't commiserate with people that have spent all spring and summer carrying salt and running cams that are a little frustrated that on opening morning there were hounds running all over the dang mountain. It's public land, and they have a right to be there, but it's pretty dang frustrating. I guess you're lucky enough and have been around long enough to know where they run hounds in this state.... Some of us aren't as fortunate and had opening weekend (and 3 of my 10 vacations days) ruined by people running hounds. I hope in the future you can understand why some people have heart burn with hounds running by thier treestands multiple times during a day...

I understand your points completely... but it is a mute point (is what I mean). $H!T happens out there... it has happened to me and likely will so again. It isn't that I knew where "not" to be, but we didn't happen to see a single dog or other hunter. My point is that threads like these create more divisions between hunters... and give "them" more leverage against us... I heard the same gripe in the Taxidermist shop over the weekend too from a good friend and I told him the same basic thing. I am sorry that your hunt was a bust, but you chose one thing to be mad about instead of lots of things to be happy about... hunting is not just about the kill. I have the outdoors and God's country at my finger tips every day so I tend to take it for granted... but for those of you that only have 10 days or so a year you should let your Blood Pressure fall and just enjoy the minutes you can be out there, because you can sit in your car on the freeway during the morning commute and grumble. Good Hunting. ;)

• Like 3

I understand your points completely... but it is a mute point (is what I mean). $H!T happens out there... it has happened to me and likely will so again. It isn't that I knew where "not" to be, but we didn't happen to see a single dog or other hunter. My point is that threads like these create more divisions between hunters... and give "them" more leverage against us... I heard the same gripe in the Taxidermist shop over the weekend too from a good friend and I told him the same basic thing. I am sorry that your hunt was a bust, but you chose one thing to be mad about instead of lots of things to be happy about... hunting is not just about the kill. I have the outdoors and God's country at my finger tips every day so I tend to take it for granted... but for those of you that only have 10 days or so a year you should let your Blood Pressure fall and just enjoy the minutes you can be out there, because you can sit in your car on the freeway during the morning commute and grumble. Good Hunting. ;)

I know I am totally going to regret responding to it but here we go. I really understand both sides if the argument if you call it that. I totally agree with with coues, on the fact we are blessed to be able to spend days or weeks out in god country hunting him animals.Some get to do it some way more than others. And "hunters" with dogs will always be there. No way to change that and I know you are just venting. And on the other hand I feel for aka. I really do. Our family does the same thing. Only difference is we spend about 250 days a year in our unit hiking or scouting and hunting. My greatest advice is go the extra 5 miles or so. If there is a road within two miles of where you are you are too close. AKA pm me if you need to help this is our backyard. Hope I didn't stir the pot to bad.