Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Processing from ground to sausages and snack sticks

I was hoping to get some advice on how others DIY process. As usual, everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

I have recently purchased an LEM 1/3HP meat processor and 5lb vertical sausage stuffer. I have researched enough to begin my first batch of sausages and snack sticks, but I had a few questions on how others get the job done.

By the end of the week, I would like to process deer, javelina, geese, and ducks into ground where some of which will ultimately be dehydrated into snack sticks (slim jim style jerky).

Considering something like the front shoulders of a deer, how important is it to get off ALL of the sinew? Can you just get the exterior silver skin and send the rest through the grinder? (Of course you can, but where is a decent threshold for time processing vs. gamey taste)

Does anyone have any lessons learned, specific do's or do not's they would be willing to share? Other information of interest:

Specific recipes or seasoning mixes

types of casing to use

percentage of pork fat to cut in

stuff like that

Thanks for sharing.

For deer I don't cut any thing in with it. As far as casing I have had good luck with the ones that come with the cabelas seasoning kits. I alwasys soak them over night. As for cuts the last deer I killed I saved the back straps but the rest got ground into Italian sausage.

Javelina I'll mix 50/50 with pork only because they are small animals and it almost not worth the time to set every time up for just one straight javelina.

There are tons of YouTube videos to help with the process. One id like to try showed a guy fill the entire case then go back and twist them into links. Looks a lot Easyer that linking them as you go.

• Like 1

For slim-jim type snack sticks, I don't cut with any fat, but make sure to get every last bit of fat, sinew, connective tissue - anything white out of the meat. You don't even need a casing with snack sticks - just use an LEM jerky cannon with the round nozzle. The LEM snack stick mixes are great - and you'll want to be sure to add the cure they provide - I find it's best to dissolve the cure in some hot water and mix in when you mix in the seasoning.

I've done lots and lots snack sticks from javis, deer and elk. The outside will form the skin when it's dehydrated.

• Like 1

For your ducks/geese, wait till you have enough to do a big batch, you'll use different spices than your deer sausage, i like some of the old world German recipes.

Dan, you know I had enough birds just from the last hunt day bro, thanks for the tips!

EDIT: Partial reasoning behind adding this first photo

Best part is that every sausage tastes completely different. "Redhead here, there's a sweet teal, oohhhhhhhhh that's the ribeye mallard right there" lol

It was kind of fun but next time I will be sure to mix the ducks up good after I cube them, and cube smaller, but before I grind them in with the pork butt.

post-3844-0-02395700-1382474033_thumb.jpg

For slim-jim type snack sticks, I don't cut with any fat, but make sure to get every last bit of fat, sinew, connective tissue - anything white out of the meat. You don't even need a casing with snack sticks - just use an LEM jerky cannon with the round nozzle. The LEM snack stick mixes are great - and you'll want to be sure to add the cure they provide - I find it's best to dissolve the cure in some hot water and mix in when you mix in the seasoning.

I've done lots and lots snack sticks from javis, deer and elk. The outside will form the skin when it's dehydrated.

Coach, Thanks for the info specifically regarding the snack sticks. I didn't get around to making them yet, but will most definitely take your advice for next time.

I used an LEM kit for my first time. Made summer sausage, hamburger and bratwurst out of the deer. Chorizo, ground hunter sausage (recipes from this site - thank you) and hot italian sausages with the javelina and sweet italian sausage with the ducks and geese. All have been delicious.

EDITS: Added lessons learned

Partially freezing the meat prior to grinding was key. The ducks and geese were 100% frozen since Jan 31 and I was worried about this (as we have all heard don't freeze things twice) but after slightly thawing them out, grinding, stuffing and refreezing, they did still turn out fantastic. I would avoid if it possible but it won't stop me in the future.

post-3844-0-48257300-1382473765_thumb.jpg

I left the sausages as is (below) in the fridge for almost 24 hours. Deer Brat (top left) Duck/Geese (top right), Jave (bottom right) -- I don't even have to keep track of them when I pull out a variety to cook, each one is obvious based on color alone (tough when frozen)

post-3844-0-78925700-1382473747_thumb.jpg

Edited by CouesPursuit
  • Like 2

Round 2:

Used a good portion of the season's duck harvest (possesion limits of 3 hunters), about 25-30 lbs of breast and some big duck legs -

post-3844-0-70501200-1392655183_thumb.jpg

And a decent portion of deer ground from January's Coues, cut with some cubed pork butt -

post-3844-0-37426700-1392655343_thumb.jpg

Processed meat through the grinder, about 80% game 20% pork butt (prospecting a ~10% fat content)-

post-3844-0-83352300-1392655419_thumb.jpg

After mixing in seasonings with cold water and cure, in 5lb batches, loaded up the sausage stuffer with collagen 17mm smoked snack stick casings, they work much better after spending a night in the fridge, gives them a little moisture -

post-3844-0-39022100-1392655662_thumb.jpg

Creating several batches of filled snack stick casings -

post-3844-0-65124100-1392655763_thumb.jpg

I smoked most but tried baking some as well, tried several recipes including some homemade and some premade packages from Backwoods (LEM), also tried several snack sticks with no casing at all (baking only) -

post-3844-0-57780900-1392655893_thumb.jpg

Baked at 180F and smoked at 200F until internal temps reached 165F. Cut long links into snack sticks and packaged in varieties. Some for short term consumption in zip locks, most for long term consumption, vacuum sealed then frozen -

Baked -

post-3844-0-48471600-1392656055_thumb.jpg

Smoked -

post-3844-0-93160500-1392656083_thumb.jpg

This was a long but worthwhile process. I have lots of boat, hiking and healthy snack foods for months to come. Hope this gives folks a better idea of the process as a whole. More time than difficulty!