Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Tanner's first Dove Hunt!!!

Saturday afternoon my youngest son, Tanner asked if I would take him Dove hunting. I was surprised, shocked, and very happy. Tanner has not shown any interest in Hunting. I always ask him if he would like to come hunting, but he is very content as home. I told him we could go Sunday afternoon. I called Lonne and made plans to meet Sunday afternoon for an Afternoon Dove Hunt.

Lonne met us at my house and we all loaded into my truck for the long 2 minute ride to my new Dove spot. We unloaded and walked into the field to set up. Lonne set up about 100 yards to my right. I set up Tanner & Kyle at the same spot. I loaded the guns and gave the kids a quick safety briefing. They were very excited to start shooting. Almost immediately Lonne was able to get several birds on the ground. Kyle and I have been hunting this spot since opening day. It's been Awesome every day. It was a little different last night. The birds were flying higher and later than usual. After a few shots Kyle was able to get his first bird down, but the time between shots was a lot longer than it had been earlier in the week.

After about 30 minutes I saw some birds flying toward us. I told the boys to get ready and to wait until the birds got within range. As the birds got close enough I told Tanner to aim at the lowest bird and to fire when he was ready. Tanner shot first and made a perfect shot! Kyle shot right after Tanner and he made a perfect shot on the second bird. It was Awesome! Both birds hit the ground at almost the same time. We all started screaming with excitement! Tanner had just shot his first Dove! It was also a double with his brother! Another life long memory for this Dove season.

The birds started flying and the shooting began to pick up. Lonne was to get 9 birds for the night with some great shooting. Kyle ended the night with 7 birds. Tanner was able to get 3 birds on his first ever Dove hunt! He shot every bird in the air with a semi auto 20 gauge. It was a great night.

After we got home we took some pictures and made some calls to grandpa:) After all the pictures were done and the birds had been cleaned Tanner had a question. He asked "when can we go Dove hunting again"? It was the words I've wanted to hear for a long time. Another hunter is born!!!!!!!!

Great job Tanner!

post-1205-0-47602800-1378763568_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Really great. I'll never forget my first dove kill. ( along time ago)

Man, the kids are putting the smack down on the birds this season!

Way to go Dad, I sure hope you finally got your lifelong huntin' buddy on board 100%!

;)

Great seeing all these kids on their first dove hunt! Congrats!

Great story!!! Tanner- way to go!!! I didn't get to shoot my first dove until the Army sent me to Texas at the young age of 27... NY doesn't allow dove hunting. Keep at it Big Browns crew!!!