Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

WTB a youth deer rifle

Have you thought about getting a youth stock for a full size rifle. It is longer, and not as light as a youth model rifle, but a lot easier to handle than a full size. We have a .243 and.308 in Remington 700. A youth stock took care of our three kids for several years for deer, pigs and elk. Now that they are adults, we have put the full size stoks back on the guns.

These threads always have lots if responses...but like you already know...it's what she feels comfortable shooting. The light round rifles get a good argument because people say that there is less flinch at the recoil. Everyone flinches at recoil regardless of what they shoot until they have hours of practice. I would suggest a 30-06 even for a 12 year old girl. I got one for my niece who was not much of a hunter at age 13 and now it is her favorite rifle. A light 150gr load does not have much recoil. Additionally, there are now recoil reducing loads sold by remington and recoil pads that greatly reduce said recoil. There is always ammo available. And within 500yards there is not a rifle that can offer more versatility in rounds and take any North American game animal. From 125gr - 220gr+ YES there are rifles that shoot farther and longer or flatter or with a little less or little more recoil etc etc etc but its a great option for all seasons and species. Personally, I would have my kids use what I use so that its less ammo to have to buy and keep track of. Haha

I was kind of nervous about letting her try out my .308 after she shot my 20 gauge a few months ago & thought it kicked too much, but I think I'll let her pump a couple rounds through it & see what she thinks. Only one way to find out for sure. Besides, the more I think

about it, she'll be out growing a youth rifle in a year or two anyway. Somebody might as well use the one that is already in the closet, since it seems like I'm not going to.

this is how I was started dad had an old model 94 30-30 open sights. We used what he didn't use or what was given to him. Then on my 16th birthday I got a .270 now my boy will use the same thing what I have lying around

That sounds like a wise decision. My father would have us shoot his 30-06 all the time with blankets on our shoulders which I always thought was awkward because we couldn't see the scope comfortably or hold it perfect BUT when it came time shoot at an animal there is so much adrenaline you don't feel the kick either.

I'd suggest buying some "snap caps." They are fake bullets with a rubber sections where the primer should be. They are used to practice loading and shooting before you use live rounds. They have been the single best purchase I ever made for myself and my wife. By practicing with them you learn your "trigger pull" and eliminate 80% of the flinch reaction.

Another thing to consider is who is going to be carrying the rifle all day? A light compact rifle is just that and after lugging it around for a few hours it can take a bit more effort to shoulder it and keep it steady while playing the waiting game for the animal to present a shot for a kill.

I have a pre 64 Model 70 in 243 with a nice Zeiss scope on it but when I go pig hunting I grab my sons Youth 700 in the same caliber with a Leupold 2-7x33 on it just because it is so light.

I also have a nice Estwing 22oz Framing Hammer that can be used on finishing nails in a pinch but I have another hammer that is better suited for that chore. ;)

Also letting her shoot bunnies and targets with a 22 to get the basics down is good too.