Sign in to follow this  
Dan H

Lion hides in the sticks

Hoping this is my year to take a lion when in 7 miles from society for 10 days. Heard lion hides can go bad after a few days.

What is the best way (maximum time frame)to handle a lion hide when needing a few days to hang meat in the shade and pack out.

Thanks for any input.

Dan

I looked into this since a recent bear kill durring a deer hunt sent us packing out in a hurry to keep the hide good. Basically learn to cape the head, not sure on the paws I havnt got that far yet and of course bring salt in with you. Lots of salt then you will have plenty of time. Ask a taxi about the paws

+100 to the salt. Even if you have to keep it in your vehicle and hike out 7 miles if you properly cape and salt the hide then that hide can sit for a VERY long time in the shade.

non-iodized salt, cover flesh real good, fold flesh to flesh and roll up and tuck under a tree, it's going to suck out moisture and make a puddle, let it sit overnight at least before you load it in your pack

• Like 1

azslim is right .don't salt before you flesh the hide.Don't let the hide dry out without turning the ears and lips.

Thanks for all the advice I think I am going to pack it out next day instead and get it to a taxidermist. If I'm a fortunate son.

Thanks again everyone.

Dan