Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

tail

Saw a buck this weekend with a all white tail and but. i had never see this before, his was was white on BOTH sides and and his but was white farther out around to the legs than any other deer i have ever seen.any one else seen this?

Sounds like more of a Fan tail coues. Was it a buck with a small basket rack by chance.

I have seen coues with an all black backside of the tail, with a white underside...Definintely a hybrid. Maybe the one you saw is some kind of hybrid?

not a fan tail, had a high 3x3 rack and a decent size body. i do not think he was a hybrid, he was normal size buck with no signs of mulie, just a different tail i believe, it was pretty cool to see though.

Coues have a wide range of different colorations on the back of the tail. I have seem some with a mostly white tail (on the back surface). True hybrids do frequently have a black back side on the tail, but many pure Coues also have black-backed tails (as do most South Texas whitetails). This sounds like just an unusual Coues tail color - I see many different kinds of tails out there.

JIM

Saw a buck this weekend with a all white tail and but. i had never see this before, his was was white on BOTH sides and and his but was white farther out around to the legs than any other deer i have ever seen.any one else seen this?

The strangest colored coues deer I have ever seen was in 36B a few years back. The deer was a cinnamon/red color except for her head and neck which were the usual gray color. Her 2 fawns were the usual gray color.

The strangest colored coues deer I have ever seen was in 36B a few years back. The deer was a cinnamon/red color except for her head and neck which were the usual gray color. Her 2 fawns were the usual gray color.

This year scouting I glassed up a red/cinnamon buck he was a nice 3x3. At first I thought it was a calf cause he was behind a tree but when he stepped around a gave me a better look I couldn't believe what I was seeing, he was about as cinnamon/red as cattle get and the insides of his legs were white. I would see him just about everytime I went out but when my hunt came along he was gone <_< dang the luck.