Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Unit 23N Cow Elk Hunt

After blowing it on my Unit 1 Archery Bull hunt last year, I was looking forward to a cow hunt with my wife this year. This was the first time either one of us hunted cow elk with a rifle. I usually hunt with a bow, but I want to start my family hunting with me, so I put my archery addiction aside for a year and put in for cow. Luckily we drew the last 3 tags of the hunt, Numbers 48, 49, 50. Her son was going to come with us too but school comes first and he didn't perform so he had to stay home with my mom. This was Amanda's first big game hunt. She was pretty pumped after scoring 100% on her Hunter's Education class and learning a ton.

We found a killer spot to camp and got settled in for the opening day. We found a pretty nice area to hunt, but didn't see anything that morning. We took a drive to another part of the unit to hunt in the evening. After a very short walk into the woods down an old road we were on elk. They were unaware of us so we had a good opportunity. I wanted Amanda to get the first chance since I've killed an elk and other critters before. Amanda took one shot and they didn't even react. So rack another one in and boom. Nothing. Still standing there. We probably should have been away from a road because we had someone drive down the same road we were near and that spooked the elk. Instead of just stopping when they saw us, they turned around and drove off. Could of just stopped and turned the truck off but whatever.

Day two we jumped a cow and calf out of camp in the morning and got close but no cigar. Afternoon spot we shadowed a herd that had a bull bugling but couldn't get close. Day three AM same as Day Two, just the other direction. We saw them, but they saw us first. No time for a good shot. We decided to take a break in the evening. My wife is pregnant and I didn't want to push her too hard.

Day four morning was really cool. Within a hundred yards of camp we see a cow and calf with a couple more elk together. Amanda wanted me to shoot at this point. Waited a few second to clear an small oak and boom. Miss, crap. Rack in another and she just did a do si do, facing the other direction broadside. Boom, smack! Oh ya! We went back to camp and got the truck. By that time she was stone cold dead, and only went about 20 yards after the shot. Nice and clean, no tracking necessary! Called my cousins to see if they could help and they were on the way. We cleaned and bagged it up and got it cooling in no time. Family kicks butt!

We hunted one more evening but no more elk spotted. We made a mutual decision to not get greedy and headed home. Classic elk hunt. Loved every minute of it!

Thanks for reading!

post-2759-0-42471400-1382499839_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-56668400-1382499887_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-04976500-1382499939_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-68114300-1382499993_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-98982000-1382500052_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-17284700-1382500098_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-03573200-1382500154_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-11156200-1382500195_thumb.jpg

Great job! Hopefully your son will tighten up his grades and join you on a spring hunt!

Congratulations. Love the pictures of the camp. Any suggestions where to start scouting in unit 23 for the late bull hunt? I finally drew a tag after 8 years and am actively spending time in the unit. I'm just not sure where to concentrate my efforts. I hear that the bulls are in the canyons just off the rim for that hunt.

Congrats Nick!

Always great when you can get the family together on a hunt and focus on whats really important.