PelaPapas

Who uses external frame packs?

I have been using a Kelty external frame pack for a few years. I've never used any other pack than this one and a smaller pack that I use when pig hunting. I'm in the market for a new pack, not sure if I should stay with an external frame pack or dish out the cash for something else.

Would like input from people who use external frame packs and all others too, thanks!

I'm always broke so I use an Alice Pack. Not as fancy as the brand name ones, but never failed me when I was in the military or hunting.

• Like 1

/>

I'm always broke so I use an Alice Pack. Not as fancy as the brand name ones, but never failed me when I was in the military or hunting.

Old reliable! I use a molle pack and I just removed the sleeping back pouch for meat packing space.

I currently use a external pack with a removable pack. I also attached a small canvas bag containing saw, rice bag (meat bag), and 20'coil of P-cord and buckle straps aside from main gear pack.

PROS- externals have excellent points to attach additional gear and lashing points.

Less zippers to blow-out and generally a pretty rugged design.

With a good heavy duty frame, it can/you can haul elk quarters.

Easier to maintenance/clean.

CONS- Noisy, a bit cumbersome in tight areas (low hanging brush).

Proper Fitment is a must.

Loads tend to shift left/right if not properly secured, unlike internals were load is secured tightly.

Less pockets/compartments.

I use an external frame when backpacking, but they are a bit of a pain when hunting in brushy areas because they get caught up on things and are louder. There is not an internal frame pack that I have ever seen that will handle big, heavy loads anywhere close to as well as an external frame. I have both an internal and an external and use each one depending on the hunt and the location. My two go to packs are both >15 years old and still going strong.

That is all I have ever used for close to 30 years. The current one I have is a Kelty (I believe) with a BOYDS pack attached to it. I don't think i'd ever use any other type of pack. I like to have some air between my back and the pack to keep the sweating down.

On occasion I will hang my rifle sling over a corner if I need both hands free so I used some wire ties and attached a piece of foam pipe insulation to one side to beep the rifle from contacting the frame.

This is the third frame I have had, it is aluminum and the lightest of the three. The only problem is the cloth screen that stretches across the back to keep the frame from contacting you is wearing out and they seem impossible to find. The BOYDS is at least 10 years old and the zippers are getting hard to move but after looking at new packs for the last year I still have not found anything I like and forget about finding one the is made in the USA.

Kifaru Duplex or Bikini Frame and whatever combo of bags, slings, pockets, pouches you desire. Their suspension is excellent. Worth a look for sure!

Just got the Outdoorsman pack and used it on my girls hunt last weekend. The pack is awesome to say the least! Very comfortable to wear all day and hauls weight easily!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've only carried external packs, so thats what I'm used to. Not sure if I want another external or something different.