Sign in to follow this  
pcbucks

Campfire smoke

Curious what the general thought was relating to campfire smoke and how it affects your hunting.

Ive always kept the clothes/gear I wear into the field separate from what I wear around camp- thinking that the smoke and other smells around camp can affect how deer detect you in the field. I also use a bit of those sprays that claim to mask or remove human scent...

Have been in a number of camps where hunters dont consider this, but seem to be successful anyways.

I realize at a couple hundred yards or more, maybe it doesnt make that much difference anyways.

We hunt in 35A near in the canyons just east of Parker Canyon lake. Lots of fires in that area over the last few years so now wondering if that "smoke" smell perhaps doesnt really affect the hunting, as the deer perceive this as a natural smell versus man made.......maybe Im making too much of this, especially for a rifle hunter- but always looking to take as much care as possible. Wait all year for my hunt, so dont want to take a chance of getting "winded" sooner that if I take a couple precautions. Killed a deer from 20 yards two years ago who came right up behind me, cant say it was having my scent masked....but could be.

Just curious what anyones thoughts are regarding to campfire smoke and if affect how close you can get to deer.

THe only way to beat a deer's nose is to hunt with the wind in your favor. If the deer can smell the campfire on your clothes, he can also smell your human scent, so what does it matter.

For the most part I never have campfires in hunting camp. I don't like smelling like one.

Campfires are mesmerizing to look at, warm the near side of the body, and restore the spirit. But I am like TAM in that I do not like smelling smoky clothes. Rarely will have a fire in camp, as pillow time is important before the next hard day of hunting. I do not know what the deer thinks of smoke, but if he smells the smoke, he can smell your human body, so work the wind.

Doug~RR

Enjoy your fire and fellowship; eat your grilled steak with garlic and onions; fart when you need to, and be a smart hunter and play the wind.

OR, you can forsake the fire; eat like a vegan; keep your hunting clothes stored in pinon bows (be sure to buy the charchol lined material); take a sponge bath daily, and be a smart hunter and play the wind.

You choose.

Mike

Enjoy your fire and fellowship; eat your grilled steak with garlic and onions; fart when you need to, and be a smart hunter and play the wind.

OR, you can forsake the fire; eat like a vegan; keep your hunting clothes stored in pinon bows (be sure to buy the charchol lined material); take a sponge bath daily, and be a smart hunter and play the wind.

You choose.

Mike

I couldn't of said it better.

Bob

Mike, you hit on another issue for me......... meal time. During hunts, even if I'm tail gate camping I still eat out of a can and make it a point to make as little mess as possible.

For me camping is the time for camp fires and BBQ'd steak, but not while hunting. During the hunt I don't like to deal with the mess of fancy meals and the chores that go along with them. Same thing with fires, I'd rather go to bed and get the extra sleep than sit around a smokey fire.

If I'm hunting with other people, I have no problems having a huge meal, fire anything else I need for enjoyment. (especially in the winter when it gets dark at 6:30pm and doesnt' get light until 7am)

When I'm by myself I usually just crawl into bed. Be a smart hunter and play the wind is where it is at. I personally think the only good that comes from taking so much care of clothes, what you eat etc... as far as scent is concerned is to give you confidence. Confidence is what is important. IMO

Besides just hunt the burn areas and the smoke on you will fit in just like normal. :)

You guys are hard core! Yet I tend to agree. I have all the bells and whistles if I'm in someone else's camp and they are puttin on the spread, or if I'm camp/fishin.

I do a lot of backpackin type huntin, or out of the truck stuff like you say, TAM.

It's about the hunting not the camping. All I really gotta do is sleep dry and comfortable, eat enough to stay alive, and stay hydrated.

When I saw this string I thought the subject was gonna be about campfire smoke in remote areas and if that may tip the deer off to the presence of man. Something that has always made me wonder... but I usually backpack with my brother who HAS to have a fire, and we always find deer.

Mike

This is a mixed bag, I myself try to follow all no-sent rules...from scentless and non-uv laundry soaps to

chopped up cedar bows and sentproof storage bags. I will only wear my hunt gear once i am in the field and locked and loaded.

Now my hunting partner is of the mind that if you stink to high heaven, all game animals will take off running when they catch you scent, thus revealing their location.

He and I are batting 500 for the last 10 years. B)

Keep the wind in your face, and with a little luck, all your worries will be rewarded with I view to a kill. ;)

Ah yes, the old can they smell me or not. I'm sure we have all had experiences of being very close to deer and elk with and without scent control products. I know that I have.

I have some close friends that are K-9 police officers. They use Labradors, German Shepards, and Belgian Malinois for drug and human searches. I asked them about a dogs sence of smell and they put it to me this way:

You can smell a cheese burger, a dog can smell the cheese, meat, bun, mustard, etc. etc. etc. and even the ingredients in the bun, cheese, mustard, etc. etc. etc. I know those dogs are also alerting to drugs that dealers have gone to a great deal of trouble trying to "cover" with different cover scents, air tight containers, etc. etc. etc.

Now, I don't know how good a deer or elk's nose is compaired to a dog (and these dogs I've been talking about are not blood hounds mind you). But I venture to guess that if you are down wind of prey, they will smell you, your cover scent, your deodorant, your toothpaste, campfire, or what ever else you got going on.

With that said, I still worry keep a cold camp and worry about my scent on archery hunts, if only to help keep the scent minimal if possible.

On the other hand, no deer or elk will smell me from 100-200 yards away on my rifle hunts and I don't worry one bit about my scent on those types of hunts.

So do what gives you peace of mind.

I have to agree that the best way would be not to have a campfire, but on the other hand I think thats just part of the trip. I don't know about you all but thats one of the important parts of the trip for my boy, either starting the fire or sitting around it and watching the flames. So sometimes you have to lose alittle to gain alittle.