Sign in to follow this  
gbocardo

Wifes first Muley

Well lets say our hunt started out promising. My wife and I drew a tag for 3a/3c and opening evening we glassed up a bachelor heard of three 3x3's and a monster 5x5. The sun was dropping and they were about 1200 yards away. As we made the hump they dropped out of sight into a cut. While slowly walking into the cut I picked up the monster buck about 250 yards away. I immediately told my wife I am taking this one. As I was getting set to put the scope on him he dropped a little lower into the cut preventing the shot from my position. My wife had the cross hairs on one of the 3x3's but I wanted the monster so she didn't take a shot. I only needed about two steps to gain elevation to take my shot but yep I made too much noise and off they ran. Probably a buck of a life time and I blew it. Saturday morning we picked up two small bucks and my wife was not picky like me. We approached within 300 yards and she put the cross hairs on the buck pulled the trigger and nothing. After looking at the rifle she realized the bolt wasn't seeded and the bucks ran off. After that evening we didn't see anything but does and elk. Then two days of 40 mph winds. Our last two days we focused on a area saturated by hunters but was the only place we were seeing deer. Friday morning my wife picked up two bucks. Both of which were 2x2's but the bigger one was broadside. They ranged at 465 yards down hill. My wife's first shot was high. After a slight adjustment she hit the mark. The buck moved about 15 yards and laid down but kept trying to get up so one more shot to finish the job. She tried convincing me to take the other buck who stayed close but again I wanted something bigger. Sunday morning was my last opportunity and with first light I picked up three bucks two 3x3's and a 2x2. Without all the embarrassing details lets just say I blew it again. We were on the same hill normally saturated with hunters so I rushed to prevent anyone else from having the opportunity to take a shot. I had no business taking a 565 yard shot under those conditions. Needless to say there was no one else on the hill and I could have taken my time and gotten much closer. Although disappointed in myself I couldn't be any prouder of my wife Kelly and to share it with her. I can't wait to get it back from the taxidermy. Here are a few pics.

post-5213-0-93844000-1383620199_thumb.jpgpost-5213-0-85200400-1383620288_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome! Congrats!

First deer just cant be beat.

Nice buck congrats to your wife.

Congrats Geno and Kelly!!!! You guys are making It look easy....... -Ryan

Congratulations to your wife on her first Muley! Big 'Ole roman nose on him.

Congrats to your wife on her buck!

How many points did you have to get drawn? I cannot seem to get drawn.....prob need to save my points for the hunt. Would be nice to hunt in late Oct early Nov without getting a third degree sunburn!

Nice buck!! Congrats to your wife!

Excellent!! Way to go on your wife getting here first muley!! Congrats!!

CONGRATS.....great first deer...........It's an awesome feeling when you are with your wife and she takes her first deer. I was luck to do the same. My wife missed out on a 2x3 and ended up with a great tasting spike for her first deer.