m77

Genetics Survey on AZ Whitetail

The Arizona hunting community could possibly benefit from genetic studies of big game herds in the state. If (and I know that's a big IF) Game & Fish did studies on all big game harvested and used those results to improve habitat we could all see benefits.

/>The Arizona hunting community could possibly benefit from genetic studies of big game herds in the state. If (and I know that's a big IF) Game & Fish did studies on all big game harvested and used those results to improve habitat we could all see benefits.

They need to start doing a dang harvest survey before they bother with DNA!! I think that'd be a little more useful.

• Like 2

Yotebuster, you are right but I think both could go hand in hand. If there was a manditory registration of all big game taken, dna and a much more accurate herd population sturdy performed the overall health of herds could be better forecasted.

I believe the dna/blood sample would go a long way in studying the physical health of game taken. Other than the fact that a hunter just put a bullet or arrow into them.

What specific health info are you looking to gather other than CWD that they already screen for? Deer STD's?

An animal's DNA - like a human's - is permanent and is determined from the genes of the parents. Physical condition or habitat has absolutely no effect on the DNA make-up of any indidviual critter.

Hi Outdoor Writer. Always glad to see you hop in on a post. I have always looked to you as the expert when it comes to Arizona outdoors information.

In a previous post I did add blood sample in which I believe the individual animals overall health could be determined. With diseases such as CWD creeping toward Arizona I would think a pro-active movement toward keeping Arizona wildlife healthy would be an good thing.

With all the dollars plus thousands of hours of volunteer work sportsmen put into Game and Fish every year a healthy growing herd population should be concern number 1.

Other than something like CWD (which they are already be fairly proactive about), most of the things that could be detrimental to a deer herd or elk herd are actually carried by parasites. (Think EHD)

The number one thing we can do to improve our herds is habitat management. Quite frankly, thick and dense forests of spindly pine trees is just plain bad for big game animals in Arizona..

Lots of mosaic logging to create edge between cover and feeding zones along with mechanical thinning would increase the forage base.

Add in some well timed rain and maybe some controlled burns here and there and the habitat really improves.

Thanks Forkhorn. That reply should earn you another point. We can start calling you Raghorn.