m77

Genetics Survey on AZ Whitetail

Just wondering if G&F do genetic or some kind of DNA studies on the AZ whitetail. Like the on Hoss Guide Service took on the Apache Reservation sure looks like an Eastern Whitetail.

I have heard of breeding between Mule Deer and Coues also.

Just wondering if what many hunters are taking as Coues might not be pure species.

• Like 1

Lots of cool stuff going on, but I'm packing for my deer hunt in the morning and don't want to be too tired to glass so I'll just provide these links and I think you'll find this stuff as interesting as I do.

http://www.deernut.com/Documents/CouesWTGeneticresearchPopeYoung.pdf

http://www.deernut.com/Documents/KeepTrophyRecordsHonest_2012.pdf

Follow me on Twitter (@Gametrax) or Facebook (Jackrabbit Jim) for daily wildlife -- mostly game -- information.

JIM

Seems like the really old bucks start to get kinda ugly and look more like an ugly eastern than our gorgeous coues.

Great info. Thanks for posting Jim and good luck on your hunt

Why didn't they include any dna samples from fantails .

I would like to see where they charted compared to coues or Carmen .

a couple of years ago down close to the border I had a chance to take a nice tiny racked fantail but passed , now I kinda wish that I had his dna to donate .

When I started working at Davis Monthan my co-worker and I were discussing Coues Whitetail. I was showing him photos from this website and he could not believe the size of the deer and their antlers. He and hunted as a young man with his father and friends but hadn't hunt in AZ for many years. He talked about the Coues deer they took and how the antlers were small and tight. Also, talked about how small the size of the deer were. He mentioned several times how he could not believe the difference in the Coues whitetail compared to those of 30 years ago.

Any information on how many Record Book Coues have been DNA tested.

Might find some changes in the record books.

I think just as many big coues deer got taken 30 years ago as do today, however information wasn't as easily shared. I think we just see more of the big deer now because it is so easy to share pictures, through text messages, Facebook, this site etc...

• Like 1

Hey Ruffcountry. It's hard to have a post without photos of a large rack get many responses. I would love to take a tight fantail with a beautiful rack for a mount. I think they are a beautiful species. Not sure either why they were not included in the studies. Thanks for posting.

Wow!!! Good reading. Im looking at my buck again. Looks like there's more to it than just a white tail, ring around the nose, small ears, and 100lb body. Lol. I have received a lot of congrats on a great coues. But that's about 90% of people that greet me. Then the rest say. Your the one who shot a hybrid. It's interesting. I told one hunter.... I didn't know I have to measure the glands before I shoot. Ha ha. Either way it goes. I'm still happy and thank God for an awesome experience and creature.

I agree HOSS. It is all about the outdoor experience. I would like to see Game and Fish setup registration stations and do DNA sampling along with collecting information on the animals. I think research would go a long way in determining better ways to manage herds and the health of a herd.