Sign in to follow this  
SWDesertRat

Jerk stick and jerky gurus--I need your help

So I have made jerky before as well as my own blend of spices for chorizo and sausage. This year I wanted to make up a bunch of jerk sticks but when I started reading the ingredients of the pre made packaged kits...I was disgusted with what I found. Nearly all of the blends had MSG in them and the rest have sodium nitrates for the curing.

I am comfortable with creating my own spice or flavor blend am will do some additional research but what I'm curious about is do I need all that sodium and sodium nitrates in order for the meat to cure? After I make the sticks I will dehydrate or smoke and then vacuum seal and store in my freezer, seems like that will be adequate enough.

I'm open to you alls thoughts and feedback though.

Wow, I'm glad my recipe is a hit. Thanks for the compliments. It really is super easy and the rub can be bought at Costco. Just use the link Pine Donkey posted.

I appreciate the feedback fellas. Spent some additional time reading some jerky and sausage preparation forums. If meat or sausages are cold smoked, it is ideal to use cure, sodium nitrate is just a simple one that works well. As you all stated and as I was thinking, as long as the meat is stored in the freezer (long term) or fridge (short term) after being dried it wont need to be cured.

I'll have to try the recipe that was posted! Thanks for the feedback though guys.