Sign in to follow this  
Craneguy

A little help on 22s late hunt

What's up guys I drew a 22s late bull tag I went scouting today seen two cows no bulls I've hunted this unit for white tail :) had great success. It's the only day I could scout I'm not a horn hunter just looking for meat. Any help is better then no help if anything ill swap deer locations for elk locations thx guys

We killed a bull in the Preachers canyon area on the late hunt a few years ago. Good glassing, tough hiking in there though. Expect a 400 yard shot and a nasty hike out.

Thanks went in there this morning saw one bull walk to the bottom and bed as i sat there and watched him and glassed around him I realized its going to be a heck of a task to get out the bad part it was almost 75 at noon but I found one so Ill gather the troops and start there on opening day but for now back to Denver for work

• Like 1

Hit the mazatals. Glass and look high. There will definitely definitely be bulls there.

• Like 1

Thanks went in there this morning saw one bull walk to the bottom and bed as i sat there and watched him and glassed around him I realized its going to be a heck of a task to get out the bad part it was almost 75 at noon but I found one so Ill gather the troops and start there on opening day but for now back to Denver for work
I think the temps supposed to drop by the time that hunt starts

Man I hope so.... I got an old timer telling me to take the power lines from Rye all the way to the transformer yard south of the 260 by preacher canyon says there is alot of canyons I've been back there from the shooting range anyone been any farther north then the shooting range?

• Like 1

/>

Man I hope so.... I got an old timer telling me to take the power lines from Rye all the way to the transformer yard south of the 260 by preacher canyon says there is alot of canyons I've been back there from the shooting range anyone been any farther north then the shooting range?

Bad nasty thick steep rocky. That about sums it up from there north.

i wouldn't do it. Asplund is in there clear cutting all the way to phoenix under the power line right now. They cut preacher canyon a few weeks back, and are at the round valley level, i think it's hole in the ground canyon right now. i went back there and checked 3 tanks for tracks and on the three there was 1 cow track and that's it. They had 6 trucks and a side by side parked on the very best elk trail back there. and i mean right on the trail. i was so bummed.

I was determined to hunt over there, but after spending the bulk of saturday out there, i'm lookin' long and hard at the mazatzals.

hope this helps.

If you think "only 60" tags isn't a lot you'll find out that for this hunt its way too many. The quality of bulls in 22 south isn't real great anymore. Its only gonna go downhill from here. Yea the mats up high is where you'll find a decent bull. But be prepared to pack out

• Like 1

60 tags is 40 tags too many! 22S is going to be just like 22N in a few years. 22S will never be the same after this year. They added or doubled every hunt in 22S. Oh well, another unit becomes just a money maker!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

• Like 3