Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

Interesting situation developing in college football

It looks like the Texas Longhorn coaching position may be opening soon. Chip Kelly is the most talked about name for this position, one of the most prestigious jobs in the country. However, could Todd Graham be throwing a wrinkle into that selection. ASU is handling UCLA easily, which would set them up for a PAC 12 championship game bid. The ASU AD Patterson, just took the AD job at Texas. Graham accepted a contract extension at 2.3 million a year, which is about a million less than the Texas job will pay.

Could we be looking at a situation where a brand new ASU AD would come in and have to hire a new coach. This late in the season that would be quite a task for even the most seasoned AD.

Mike Norvel is sitting in a pretty sweet spot.

Personally I don't think Graham is cut out for Texas.

He grew up in Texas, and played high school football there. He played college ball in Oklahoma then coached at three high schools, two in Texas and one in Oklahoma. In his head coaching career he has spent 5 of his 8 years in Texas and Oklahoma (Rice and Tulsa). He understands the dynamics of both high school and college football in that part of the country.

Pattersons contract stated he could not hire anybody from asu if he ever left for Texas.

I don't think it was just an agreement between Patterson and Crow. This is the norm in these situations, but they are never followed. In fact, if ASU and or Texas put something in writing that prevented Graham from getting a job, through no action of his own, it would violate his equal employment rights.

I didn't meen Texas as a state, I know that's where he is from but I meant the program of Texas. After seeing what happened to

Asu when they played Notre Dame in Dallas I doubt they would want him as there Coach. I feel he's done a tremendous job with Asu but Texas is a totally different story.

I didn't meen Texas as a state, I know that's where he is from but I meant the program of Texas. After seeing what happened to

Asu when they played Notre Dame in Dallas I doubt they would want him as there Coach. I feel he's done a tremendous job with Asu but Texas is a totally different story.

I see your point

Not to be argumentative but Pine Donkey I don't think that Chip Kelly is the most talked about name for the Texas job. I would say in this order the popular candidates are: Saban (who I think would be crazy to take the job), Art Briles the HC @ Baylor (this one makes the most sense, he is a TX guy and if he can make Baylor a national title contender what can't he do with the bigges budget in D1), Chip Kelly but with the Eagles recent success I don't see him leaving, Todd Graham but honestly most of this press is in AZ and I don't think the boosters @ UT would ever be happy with a guy whose best success was on relevant season @ ASU. In my opinion they should be targeting Miles and Gundy as well.

In mind this is a post by a Wildcat fan trying to stir the pot and let the air out of a huge night for Tempe, sorry Donkey not taking the bait.

Not to be argumentative but Pine Donkey I don't think that Chip Kelly is the most talked about name for the Texas job. I would say in this order the popular candidates are: Saban (who I think would be crazy to take the job), Art Briles the HC @ Baylor (this one makes the most sense, he is a TX guy and if he can make Baylor a national title contender what can't he do with the bigges budget in D1), Chip Kelly but with the Eagles recent success I don't see him leaving, Todd Graham but honestly most of this press is in AZ and I don't think the boosters @ UT would ever be happy with a guy whose best success was on relevant season @ ASU. In my opinion they should be targeting Miles and Gundy as well.

In mind this is a post by a Wildcat fan trying to stir the pot and let the air out of a huge night for Tempe, sorry Donkey not taking the bait.

Wildcat fan, yes. Also a fan of the Devils. Look at my other posts, you will see I don't want to take anything from the Devils, I am always pumping them up. Prior to that game, but after the U of A win, I made a post referring to the fact it will be a great day for football in Arizona as soon as the Devils best UCLA. My ideal game is to see the two meet in a national championship, in many different sports. I will be pulling for the Cats next week and for the Devils in the Pac12 championship and the Rose Bowl.

This post is just for a discussion about a possible situation. Graham would not even be mentioned for the Texas job if it were not for Patterson making his move. Saban, Kelly, Briles and some others are more logical choices, but is Saban willing to move? Kelly was in trouble in the NFL, but that has quieted down some with recent success, Briles, maybe? However, Patterson and Graham have a connection. It may not be a strong possibility, but it is possible. The brotherhood of major college AD's and coaches is pretty small, and connections mean a lot. I am not trying to stir up anything but a good conversation. Also, google this, you will see that this is not all my crazy idea, it is being kicked around in the media for a week or two.

Just ribbing ya Donkey. I have a ton of time only hands right now to read columns and opinions to know it has been mentioned. But I still think most of it is out of paranoid ASU fans. For the record O think Graham would be an outstanding hire for UT but I just don't think the boosters would have any of it. Also for the record I wish ASU would hire your AD to replace Patterson, I think he has been a huge factor for you guys. For UT I think Briles is the guy though. I men seriously he almost took Baylor to the BCS title game. Are you kidding me?!

Just ribbing ya Donkey. I have a ton of time only hands right now to read columns and opinions to know it has been mentioned. But I still think most of it is out of paranoid ASU fans. For the record O think Graham would be an outstanding hire for UT but I just don't think the boosters would have any of it. Also for the record I wish ASU would hire your AD to replace Patterson, I think he has been a huge factor for you guys. For UT I think Briles is the guy though. I men seriously he almost took Baylor to the BCS title game. Are you kidding me?!

No doubt Greg Byrne is top notch. Speaking of stirring up pots...did Kadeem Carey and Rich Rodriquez have their last games in Wildcat stadium today?

Patterson will not be making the hire if Brown is replaced. That is not how things work at UT. Also Texas is the best job in college football. Well best in a lot of ways I should say. As in deepest recruiting grounds, top notch facilities, more money than ANY program in the Country and I could go on. They are the most powerful football program in the country and it ain't close. And I'm no UT fan by the way. But that job is not for anyone. That being said there is ZERO chance Graham gets that job. And I think he has done a fine job at ASU.