Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Spring Bear?

I was lucky enough to draw an archery bear tag in unit 22, after many years of applying.

Have any of you ever been successful on a spring hunt in AZ ( not including the res)?

I know the odds are long, but what are tactics that might produce?

I love glassing and spot and stalk type hunting, but I am thinking a stand near water or a food source might be better in the spring? I would think a big ol' boar would be mighty thirsty after a couple of months in the winter den. I also know that not all bears in AZ hibernate.

Any thoughts?

I have never hunted in 22, but I have spent two years and 30 days of hunting in unit 31 without ever seeing a bear. I put in some long miles on those days getting back into canyons, sometimes walking over 12 miles a day. If the weather is cold, I would wait until the last couple of weekends when they might be coming out. Try to find some old mine shafts where they could be hybernating. When they start coming out, they will stay close to there hole. Fresh grass will be there main food source, but I have noticed them eating pinon nuts and juniper berries. David

I haven't been drawn yet for spring bear in Az but have hunted them elsewhere. They are very hungry. I think if you could find an area where you could glass a water source and maybe a nasty canyon side you might be lucky. I have watched a lot of bears going into stock ponds and play around in the water. I have never hunted in unit 22 so sorry I can't help you there.

Keven

I also was lucky enough to get a bear tag in a southern unit. Like Desert Bull I have never hunted the spring and don't have a clue about their habits. Do bears even hibernate down here? Is predetor calling the best method? Any input will be appreciated. Desert Bull I am helping fill some elk tags in 22 with some knowledgeable locals and will pm you with any info I get.

Bob

22 is a tough unit. The season starts way too early as they are not active yet. I only know of 1 guy that has killed a spring bear in 22 and it was taken in June.

I am usually in 22 for spring turkey and dont start seeing bear sign until mid May.

Many of the bears, especially boars, are active year round in unit 22. I have used trail cameras in unit 22 for several years now and will get pictures of bears year round. I've seen very fresh bear sign in the months of December, January, and February. The bears in Arizona don't hibernate in the same way that bears in other colder states do. So far this year the warm weather has kept the bears pretty active and I'm still getting pictures on my trail cameras. Usually they will bed down for a week or two when it gets cold, but as soon as the temps warm up they'll get back up untill the next weather system comes through. If you know where the bears are this time of the year, they will be in the same areas as soon as the spring hunts open. Do your scouting now so you can be right on top of them when the hunt opens. In the spring they'll usually be up high and will be eating mostly grass, so focus on shady areas near water sources with fresh grass. Bears are usually near water year round.

I've hunted them a few times in 31 and finally took one a few years ago. A couple things I noticed is that they can be active anytime throughout the day. Makes for long glassing, but I shot my bear at 1:00pm. The other thing is to hunt later in the season rather than earlier. There are more bears out and they have more time to become active again. When they first come out of the den they don't move around much at all. Good Luck!

I agree with Coues. Bears in the spring can be active all day long! Especially at water sources. Over the last few years I've gotten many pictures of bears coming in to water in the middle of the day, even in March and April. If there is water in a thick shaded canyon I'd pay real close attention. Bears are slaves to their stomache's.