Sign in to follow this  
AxisWorks LLC

Checking rifles zero at camp.

Just curiouse how common it is for others to set up a target and check zero before or during a hunt at camp assuming its safe of course. This has become a common practice for me for a couple of reasons. 1.) one of my rifles in perticular likes a fouled bore and 2.) I use a ballistic calculator and dial MOA on a regular basis. At this time I set my basic parameters and prove them for probable shooting solutions.

I like to but can't most of the time. A lot of my hunts are backpacking in. Once I get there I don't want to alert any game to my presence. I don't have the option to test my zero near camp and then drive several miles to my hunting area. I'm camping in my hunting area. For that reason, I A: transport my rifle in as bomb proof a case as possible. I use a pelican case whether im traveling by commercial jet or by 4 wheeler. My case gets strapped to the rack. B: I use as durable scope mounting components as possible. I'm using one piece bases, nightforce rings. All torqued to proper specs. C: I use as durable a scope as possible. I'm using nightforce and the original mark4 scopes. In 15 years of some very rugged hunting I've never to this point had a change in zero. Lets just say that I have occasionally put my scopes through he!!. I have total confidence in my system. All that said, if I have the opportunity to verify, I will.

• Like 1

I use a laser boresighter and a sight-in target. Immediately after you get your rifle sighted in, mark off exactly 25 yards and put a target up. Pop in your boresighter and anchor your rifle with the crosshairs on the bullseye. Mark where the laser dot is on the target at 25 yards with a sharpie or a dot of some sort. Take that same target and boresighter out with you when you set up camp, mark off 25 yards again and put the target up. If your laser ain't on that exact dot when your crosshairs are on the bullseye something has moved and you have some work ahead of you. Most times it's because you failed to return your scope to zero after that last long-range practice session...

In my opinion, this is really the only good and reliable use for a laser boresighter kit.

• Like 3

I use a laser boresighter and a sight-in target. Immediately after you get your rifle sighted in, mark off exactly 25 yards and put a target up. Pop in your boresighter and anchor your rifle with the crosshairs on the bullseye. Mark where the laser dot is on the target at 25 yards with a sharpie or a dot of some sort. Take that same target and boresighter out with you when you set up camp, mark off 25 yards again and put the target up. If your laser ain't on that exact dot when your crosshairs are on the bullseye something has moved and you have some work ahead of you. Most times it's because you failed to return your scope to zero after that last long-range practice session...

In my opinion, this is really the only good and reliable use for a laser boresighter kit.

This was interesting. At first I was thinking, did Scooter misread the post?? Then, it clicked.. and sounds like the best alternative to firing a live round to me! Thanks for sharing.

trphyhntr- you are pretty much right on correct with that theory because different elevations and temperatures can have a significant effect on your zero. I posted what I did only for the purpose of someone who was either trying to avoid shooting in camp or did not have an adequate area to fire live rounds.

depends on where I am hunting, but I often take shots in the middle of the day to ensure I am at zero (or 700).....

• Like 1

I always do. My 300 win likes a fouled barrel as well. Even if I don't shoot to triple check the zero, which has never been out of wack, I will shoot it before I hunt just to foul it. Last year I was hauling butt to get to bear camp in time for the afternoon hunt. I pulled over and shot the rifle into a dirt backstop with no intended target. The rifle holds it's tightest groups from shots 2-10 and would not even consider hunting "longshot country" with it clean.....

Just my .02

Whitey