Sign in to follow this  
FB67

Archery Hunt 5081 units 16A 39 41 42 44A . Need Help

Hello all I have just started to get back into big game hunting took more years off then I want to admit. I took my sons on a cow elk hunt in December with great success and wanted to try my luck on Javelina with a bow. I used to bow hunt exclusively so in March I bought a new Hoyt Spider and have been practicing a lot, this new technology helps with the learning curve what a difference from my old bows. So if anyone can give me a few pointers on hunting units 16A 39 41 42 or 44A I would be grateful. I know it sounds like a lot but I am game to try any of these units. I was in 42 and 44A this Saturday and found quiet a few deer so I was encouraged that I can still glass well enough to find deer just could not find any pigs. I am not asking for secret spots just areas to glass, I can screw it up from there.

Thanks

42 and 44A are tough pig units unless you know a local farmer that will give you access to hunt the ag areas, you get plain lucky or are one of those that have a good pig spot located from hard work. Not many pigs in either. 39 has a ton of pigs along the Gila River. We counted over a hundred coming out of the salt cedars into an alfalfa field one evening several years ago. I would suggest trying to get access from local farmers in the areas along the Gila. Pigs are a pain in the arse to farmers and getting access to hunt shouldn't be too difficult from most of them. You will run into a guy once in awhile that won't allow you in but many will. Good luck.

Javelina costs us over $20K in damages and lost yield in one field alone. I begged bowhunters to thin out the herd. The unit manager even had us in his unit description of where to hunt javelina. I hated them.

/>Javelina costs us over $20K in damages and lost yield in one field alone. I begged bowhunters to thin out the herd. The unit manager even had us in his unit description of where to hunt javelina. I hated them.

Sounds past tense, so no more farm fields we can hunt? some how i tend to ask the wrong farmers but dang i know they dont likejavelina or pigs of any brand. i think hunting farmers like deer so you might have to consider promising to only shoot pigs not deer-just a thought. had a farmer in aguila recently get very protective of "his deer"

I had that tag a few years ago and considered it for this year. I chose to hunt in Unit 16A and had very little luck finding the pigs that year. We happened to see 3 right off the side of the road we turned off near Wikieup, but couldn't get a shot. There are herds of Javelina in these units but the western part of the state does not have as high of a concentration of pigs per square mile on average like you might see in the SE and Central parts of the state. You will probably have your best shot in Unit 16A or 42. Maybe 39 if you have a honey hole. They seem to be either more spread out in the deserts or concentrated in small areas along the Gila River bottom. Tough hunt, good luck!

As a side note, I will probably be trying my luck on the Mohawk Valley hunt area in 41 with a non-permit tag. These pigs are quite nocturnal and a real challenge to hunt living in that thick, nasty salt cedar, but with a pregnant wife and an expired kitchen pass it's about the best I can do living in Yuma. PM me if you might be interested in giving that part of the unit a shot.

Good Luck,

Nick