rclouse79

Elk Draw Question

I don't have any bonus points. My friend for Colorado wants me to put him on our application. Do the odds change if I list him as the number one applicant vs. myself.

If he is on your app then your app is subject to the NR 10% cap, so yes your odds are diminished. It would not matter if he is #1, 2, 3 or 4.

Thanks!

Could help too seems the out of staters always draw a good tag they want that 600 for a tag :-)

I agree with Crazybuck.

Crazy buck, that doesn't really make any sense. NR are capped at 10% of the tags, and there are far more than 10% who apply. They will get $600 regardless.

To clarify the 10% cap only applies to his tag, but if the cap has been met when your number is called the entire app would be rejected.

• Like 2

/>Could help too seems the out of staters always draw a good tag they want that 600 for a tag :-)

As a loyal nonresident yearly applicant I beg to differ! I only draw tags when I'm in the max point pool. Every single tag I've ever drawn in AZ has been in the max points pass.

/> Could help too seems the out of staters always draw a good tag they want that 600 for a tag :-)

As a loyal nonresident yearly applicant I beg to differ! I only draw tags when I'm in the max point pool. Every single tag I've ever drawn in AZ has been in the max points pass.

All depends on the hunt codes you're applying for. Early archery only has a handful of hunts with NR tags in the 1-2 pass. Late rifle has quite a few more. I haven't looked at the early rifle report but suspect it's not too many.

/>

/> Could help too seems the out of staters always draw a good tag they want that 600 for a tag :-)

All depends on the hunt codes you're applying for. Early archery only has a handful of hunts with NR tags in the 1-2 pass. Late rifle has quite a few more. I haven't looked at the early rifle report but suspect it's not too many.

Almost all the NR quota gets filled in the points pass for ALL of the best archery hunts and even some that arent the best and all but one of the early rifle hunts.

I'm just saying, I only apply for hunt that traditionally have tags in the random draw and I still end up only drawing in the points pass.

• Like 1

I was expecting some differing opinions. I decided to call and go straight to the source and call game and fish. Asking if adding a nonresident to my application effects my draw odds seems like a yes or no answer. The person on the phone refused to admit they did not know the answer to my question. They talked in circles for minutes and basically told me I needed to go to the site and figure it out. I am hesitant to even begin trying to figure out how the az draw works without a phd in statistics. It seems like the az draw system is based on equal parts statistcs and black magic.

It effects your app but it does not matter what position you place him on your app. When they pull your number, there must be a tag available for everyone on your app. If the 10% NR cap has been met, you will be denied a tag, even if there are many tags still available.

It just seems like every time I am in the field all I run into is the non residents

/>

Almost all the NR quota gets filled in the points pass for ALL of the best archery hunts and even some that arent the best and all but one of the early rifle hunts.

I'm just saying, I only apply for hunt that traditionally have tags in the random draw and I still end up only drawing in the points pass.

I know exactly which hunts fill and if not, how many tags are left in the 1-2 pass. I'm saying If you want to maximize your odds, you need to know which hunts have tags, how many are historically available, and apply to those hunt codes.

There were 3 early rifle hunts that had at least one tag drop to the 1-2 pass, 3A, 4B, and 22N.

You're right but I was only counting 3A/3C. I don't even look at 22N or 4B as an option for me.