Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Howa 1500 Problems

I have a Howa 1500 in 223 that shoots great but about every third or fourth round shot the spent shell won't extract and needs to be knocked out with a cleaning rod. I have attempted to improve the situation by cleaning after every shot but this has not worked. A friend of mine has a family member with same rifle/different caliber that has the same problem. He has had his to a couple gunsmiths which couldn't find any problems and were unable to fix his. Looking for any input before I take mine to a gunsmith. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I had the same problem with a 22-250 of mine. I had a gunsmith hone and polish the chamber, and havent had any problems since.

I have that issue with my mini-14 it wont shoot NATO 5.56 a guy told me to use a little emery cloth wrapped on a pencil in the chamber and take about a thousandths of an inch off then polish. if your not comfortable doing this take it to a gun smith as 300 wsm said.

just quit jamming your 243 ammo into your 223 rifle. I know you are always trying to get improved ballistic performance but come on. that should take care of it. :lol:

just quit jamming your 243 ammo into your 223 rifle. I know you are always trying to get improved ballistic performance but come on. that should take care of it. :lol:

You mean they aren't interchangeable??? :unsure:

I have that issue with my mini-14 it wont shoot NATO 5.56 a guy told me to use a little emery cloth wrapped on a pencil in the chamber and take about a thousandths of an inch off then polish. if your not comfortable doing this take it to a gun smith as 300 wsm said.

Is your mini a .223 cal? If so I would be careful shooting the 5.56. Even though they are very close, they are not the same as .223. The 5.56 chamber is slightly larger than the .223 because of the hotter load the 5.56 shoots it's case is a bit thicker. Your ejection problem could be because the expansion is causing the case neck to expand to it's absolute maximum farther down closer to the casing. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you, but this has been a problem on arfcom where a few .223 guns (both auto, and bolt) have split after shooting a 5.56 round.

Other than that, I would say the .223 bolt should just need the chamber polished as others have said. It should like there is a minor imperfection in there causing the problem when the gun gets a little dirty.