naturegirl

a couple questions about the rut

I've been hunting a unit south of the valley. I typically prefer to still hunt or spot and stalk. I was still hunting on a solo hunt and came across 4 bucks with 2 does. Let me say that this was the first time I've ever seen deer rutting and I was beyond thrilled.

I came over a small hill and there they were. The biggest mule deer I've ever seen in person had his nose right behind her and around them were 3 other bucks. Honestly I was surprised the other 3 bucks were so close to the doe and the monster MD. So I get my plan and haul butt up the backside of a hill to flank them and get in front of them. I got a total rush of buck fever, which was awesome. When I got to the top of the hill I was shaking so bad. I knew I couldn't hold my bow like that so I put my head down, took some deep breaths to catch my breath and calm myself down before I came over the top of the hill. The plan worked perfectly and I came out a little in front of them but up above them about 100 yards. The 2nd biggest buck walked 60 yards in front of me, looked at me/through me, turned broadside, and then just circled back toward the other deer (40 yards is my self-imposed limit and after losing a bull this is a limit I'm sticking by). Then I feel wind on the back of my neck, I watch the bucks and they do nothing, then I see the does make their escape with a bunch of antlers in tow. I did get one more opportunity at the last buck of the bunch who trailed behind the rest with his nose to the ground. I glassed him up and ran across a wash to get in front of him, but never saw him again.

I have to say I'm proud of myself. I don't often toot my own horn, but for me I put two and two together on my own and got myself a shot opportunity. I also did everything just right up until that last few seconds so I've been itching to get back out there to give it another go.

This happened Wednesday. I'm heading back out tomorrow and then for a couple days later this week. My plan is to go back to the general area I saw them and work it the way I did last time. It was full of deer tracks since the last rain a couple weeks ago so I know the area is being heavily used.

How long does a doe stay in estrus?

Why were the bucks all so close to each other - is this typical? It was obvious the dominant buck had 1st position, but I just didn't expect to see 3 other bucks right behind him. I had no planned intention of stalking the dominant buck because I know he would be harder so close to the does and the others were great bucks for me.

I'm super happy I located them on a solo hunt, but I'm definitely itching to close the deal.

Any pointers, thoughts, advice would be very much appreciated since I have almost no experience with the deer rut. It's obvious now for the last many years, we have hunted too early during the archery season and missed most of the rut action.

It's just like elk rutting the other bucks would be considered the satelite bucks. They are hoping to sneek in and steal a doe. Get yourself a doe in estrus can and a grunt call. The grunt call will stop a buck for the shot and can sometimes get them right up to you. The can will get the does coming towards you dragging the bucks with them.

There is a defined pecking order in place. The big boys typically only fight to establish who's the boss or to try to win the right to breed when another dominant male shows up wanting to breed or to put a young punk in his place if he moves in on a doe he's trying to breed. Most of the time, the boss is established before breeding and mule deer aren't as aggressive as whitetails and elk.

I don't know how long a doe stays in estrous but the biggest most dominant bucks only come out to play when one or more does is ready to breed now. They have to be pretty hot and ready. The less dominant bucks will hang around and keep the ladies company until then but when you see a really big mature buck with his nose up a doe's butt with several other bucks behind him, she's as ripe as she can be. He won't be quite as visible once she's bred unless another doe is ready right after. He'll do one of two things. 1: he'll stay close but out of sight until another is ready or 2: wander off in search of another herd.

Happy hunting and I hope you get him. January truly is a magical time of year for desert archery hunters.

The cycle last 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and if a doe is not impregnated during the 24 hours when she is receptive she will be receptive in another 28 days.

Welcome to bowhunting, you did everything right but 100% of it has to come together. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rush and keep at it, your sure to AMBUSH a buck. I chased a 160 class box 4x4 last sunday with a shot presented at 108 yards. my pins are out to 110. With no cover to close the gap and a steady wind from the west, I elected to not risking wounding him. I can chase him another day and learned alot from the day's events. Archery desert hunting is as tough as it gets. Kudos to your success in finding and stalking on your own.

• Like 1

I'm still at it. I sat water one afternoon because my legs were plain wore out. After sitting for 3 hours a skunk came right towards my ground blind. He had my fullest attention as I've never been this close to a skunk. he ended up walking not 5 yards to the side of me. I was concentrating on the skunk to make sure he wasn't making his way back toward me and I hear this noise back by the tank. As I'm turning my head I realize exactly what the noise is. it is slurping (just like when my horses drink). Sure enough I saw antler tips. I grab my bow (which I had laid down), but by this time he was walking away, hopped the fence, and kept on walking. I grabbed my GPS and attempted to follow, but quickly realized there wasn't enough light, I didn't have my backpack or even a flash light.

I did go to Sportmans after everyone recommended a can call and they were sold out. I did buy a grunt call that also can be a doe call so I gave it a whirl as he walked away, but I got no response. Sometimes I have had beginners luck with calling, but not this time. He was gone.

Anybody got a can call I can borrow? I'm in Queen Creek/South Gilbert.

/>You can hypnotise a skunk by speaking softly to it while you point your index finger at him and spinning the finger in small circles, then quickly pick the skunk up by the tail, they cant spray you while being held by the tail... let us know how that works out for you... hehehe..

I got sprayed(in the face, eyes and I got a lung-full) by a skunk, thinking it was a black cat that hung-out at my home in NY, I reached down to pet him, (it was 4'00am, coming home from "church" alittle wobbly)... late November... stripped down in front yard, ran hose over body to try and rinse off... Called GF for "help", she brought me two little cans of tomato juice(enough to make a small Bloody Mary) and peels of laughter to my blinded gagging, freezing, boxer clad situation .... Local Cops stopped in the next day as she was setting fire to the clothes left in the drive-way, they thought some kind of "domestic incident" was in progress... local PD laughter was as painfull as the spraying...

Good luck to You and keep the faith (and beware the skunks)...

ROFLMAO!!!

That's good stuff there!