Sign in to follow this  
Whankinson44

1-10-2014 hunt. Never give up!!!

So.... my buddy Jimmy and I went out to search for my first Big Game animal with a bow. I had been trying for 3 years or so to get my first Buck without any luck, mind you I had plenty of chances to harvest one. It seemed like every time I had one in my sights I would spook them and GAME OVER... I was starting to think that maybe I should just give up and not try any more, but I couldn't. My wife, all my friends and my family would tell me "your day will come." That kept me going, I had to harvest one. Yesterday, 1-10-2014 was my day. Jimmy and I hiked a ways back seeing only Bucks to far away for any shot with a bow. We were on our way back to the truck, walking the wash bed, when we spooked one. Now, I have talked with lots of hunters about using a grunt call and I was told that "it doesn't work here in Arizona." I am here to tell you.... it does work! Using his buck grunt Jimmy stops this buck in his tracks 40 yards away, he did it a couple more times and the buck starts to walk parallel to us. Loosing sight of him a couple of times Jimmy decides to use the doe setting, the buck started to come straight to us. Jimmy tells me "that cactus is 20yards, I draw back and wait, this whole time I'm shaking real bad and doubting that I'm going to get a good shot like always. The buck comes right into the open, I put my 20yrd pin on him and let the arrow fly. Finally! 20 Yard shot the arrow hits its mark. My day had finally come, my first buck. Thank you Jimmy for trying that grunt tube and helping me out. Thank you to my wife Kerrie, for not letting me give up. It was an exciting experience for me and a testament of my persistence in never giving up.

post-12078-0-67503600-1389483912_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

BIG congrats to William. Not only has he insisted on harvesting his first big animal with a bow, he has been trying in some difficult terrain. The Tucson mountains. Where being stealth is hard to do. It was an awesome experience to be a part of.

Oh, by the way, welcome to site!!!!

This is how we got Williams trophy back to the truck. A saguaro rib that worked perfectly. A little over a mile from where he shot it. post-6087-0-97247800-1389484901_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So you doe called that buck into 20 yards? What call/model was that? I stopped two bucks this year with a grunt, but my call had no doe sound on it. Sweet deal! Congratulations!

Congratulations. I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same boat. Spent several years trying to get my first deer with a bow. I actually took several shots over the years and was either over or under, very frustrating. My buddy who has been hunting since he was 12 years old said keep at it as he only had two deer with a bow as it was no easy task. Needless to say my last day to hunt in December was it. Just like you on my way back when I spotted deer on a hill side. 40 yard shot. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what an awesome feeling. Congratulations again. Now we can be picky and go for the big one this month.

/>So you doe called that buck into 20 yards? What call/model was that? I stopped two bucks this year with a grunt, but my call had no doe sound on it. Sweet deal! Congratulations!
This buck was about 45 yards walking away from us. I got him to turn and walk towards us. It's not like I called him in from far. Either way, it worked.

Primos Tiffany I believe. I'll check when I get home.