Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

i wanna shoot a big mule deer

I've got 5 bonus points, and if i get my hunters safety, by the end of the year i should have 7 points.

I think when i hit 10 points i'll start entering the draw seriously. Right now i only put in if i don't tag out in January, which i have already done this year.

Right now, i don't have the confidence to burn my points on an archery tag. Hopefully that will change in the next few years, but right now i'm going rifle.

So really, i can practice on deer i CAN shoot in the archery seasons. And when i mean CAN, i mean the first deer that presents a shot opportunity that i can take advantage of. In other words, right now, i'm not being picky. If it's brown, its down.

But soon, hopefully it will change.

As i get more notches in my belt, i'd like one day hold out for a B&C quality deer.

So, what hunts should i look at? 13a? 13b, 23 late MD?

I'd like to choose a unit or two, and get two know them as best i can in the upcoming years, that way when i get a trophy tag in my hands, i won't feel lost.

I don't want to use an outfitter. I want this to be totally diy.

What unit would you choose, if it were you, and what advice do you have to offer for finding a big muley for a guy like me who has limited resources (time, money) to throw at hunting?

Nov. Kaibab ...some guys here should be able to help you out. Hopefully that is my next deer tag.......

• Like 1

What do you consider big?

Start building points in Colorado.

B&C is what i call big...i think that's 190 net. That's what i want.

I like the idea of colorado....problem is i'm here and it's there. The probability of me pulling diy booner out of another state are slimmer for purely logistical reasons. ( i don't have time and money to trot off to colorado ever fall to locate big bucks). But I can probly pull it off in my home state.

If i get rich soon, i'll look at colorado for sure!

Hunt the southern units archery, 33, 32, and south. I've seen huge mulies just haven't had the chance to take one. They seem to disappear during rifle hunts but in January I've seen the big mean ole bruisers.

• Like 3

Hunt the southern units archery, 33, 32, and south. I've seen huge mulies just haven't had the chance to take one. They seem to disappear during rifle hunts but in January I've seen the big mean ole bruisers.

i've seen some big deer in my home unit of 22 in january, too. I just always seem to step on a twig at the most inopportune time....

If you are looking for giants right now I would say 13b. 13a is still recovering from a few years ago. The hunts on the strip can be extremely tough but the deer are abnormally giant. The Kiabab, yes they shoot some big deer but year in and year out the strip consistently producers more and bigger deer. Can you find big deer in other units..... Yes. But the strip is a magical monster growing place. Keep in mind the preparation to not only find and then to harvest one of the strip beasts is no easy task. They are there but you better have the drive, time, and then some to find, figure out, and maybe get a shot at one.

• Like 1

What do you consider big?

Start building points in Colorado.

B&C is what i call big...i think that's 190 net. That's what i want.

I like the idea of colorado....problem is i'm here and it's there. The probability of me pulling diy booner out of another state are slimmer for purely logistical reasons. ( i don't have time and money to trot off to colorado ever fall to locate big bucks). But I can probly pull it off in my home state.

If i get rich soon, i'll look at colorado for sure!

190 net huh. OK, most people even on the strip dont shoot deer that big, but it can be done.

Building points in Colorado doesnt cost much... After 2 or 3 years you can draw a decent 3rd season tag. You could do that hunt 3-4 times before you draw a "great" tag in AZ. Average units in CO produce MUCH better quality/quantity of deer than AZ, just saying...

If your set on a 190 net class buck, I agree with some of the others. Spend lots of time between Christmas and the first 3 weeks in January with your bow. Hunt the border if you dare. The biggest bucks I have seen in AZ have been within a mile or so of the border. Good luck.

• Like 1

Didn't you just draw? 5 points? Maybe I have you confused with somebody else.

You're missing out on some pretty nice deer right now right in your own unit. Gotta just keep at it. Sooner or later, you'll miss stepping on that twig and the stars will align.

You could kill 5 nice bucks in your own unit in January by the time you draw your strip tag. If you want a biggun you're going to have to pay with $$ or time. Possibly both. Finding a good buck and waiting for him to make a mistake takes time. Lots and lots of time.

It'll take you years to draw the strip, cost you a ton of time and fuel to scout or a lot of $$ to hire a guide and there's still no guarantee you'll harvest a big one. My advice, get off the computer and sight in your bow, go hunting. The time is now. It doesn't get much better than what you have staring you in the face right now.

Post pix when you make your kill.

• Like 1

If you are looking for giants right now I would say 13b. 13a is still recovering from a few years ago. The hunts on the strip can be extremely tough but the deer are abnormally giant. The Kiabab, yes they shoot some big deer but year in and year out the strip consistently producers more and bigger deer. Can you find big deer in other units..... Yes. But the strip is a magical monster growing place. Keep in mind the preparation to not only find and then to harvest one of the strip beasts is no easy task. They are there but you better have the drive, time, and then some to find, figure out, and maybe get a shot at one.

Here's your answer. The buck in my avatar is from 13B (archery)......officially netted 191 2/8" B&C. I saw two other bucks bigger.

• Like 1

Didn't you just draw? 5 points? Maybe I have you confused with somebody else.

You're missing out on some pretty nice deer right now right in your own unit. Gotta just keep at it. Sooner or later, you'll miss stepping on that twig and the stars will align.

You could kill 5 nice bucks in your own unit in January by the time you draw your strip tag. If you want a biggun you're going to have to pay with $$ or time. Possibly both. Finding a good buck and waiting for him to make a mistake takes time. Lots and lots of time.

It'll take you years to draw the strip, cost you a ton of time and fuel to scout or a lot of $$ to hire a guide and there's still no guarantee you'll harvest a big one. My advice, get off the computer and sight in your bow, go hunting. The time is now. It doesn't get much better than what you have staring you in the face right now.

Post pix when you make your kill.

no worries! i'm already tagged out for 2014!

just looking to set my sights on something bigger some day. Pics are posted in the bowhunting section.

thx!

Here's your answer. The buck in my avatar is from 13B (archery)......officially netted 191 2/8" B&C. I saw two other bucks bigger.

Thanks. You bring up a good point. my hunting buddy drew 13b archery this year, packed up, and set sail for the strip come season. The week before the hunt, he was seeing once in a lifetime bucks by the dozens. The night before the hunt, it rained 3 inches, and he never saw another deer the rest of the hunt, and wound up fighting deep mud the whole time.

i like the idea of archery up there, i just don't like the fact that it falls in the monsoon.

Found your thread in bow hunting.

Yup! I had you confused with somebody else.

Sorry about that.

M