Sign in to follow this  
deerhunter

Best reloading powder

Got a couple questions for you reloaders out there. I am going ot start reloading my own ammo as a hobbie. What is the best powder to use for a 25-06 topped with a Berger VLD 115 Grain bullet? What is the best powder to use for a 22-250 topped with a 55 Grain Hornady V-Max Bullet? What primers are the best for both? With so many different powders out there its hard to decide.

Looking for accuracy or velocity? One powder to use in both calibers or one for each? Hodgdon, alliant, and ramshot all have free reloading data online.

There may not be a "best" what works good for me may not work good for you. Its normaly a trial and error possess. That said I'd start with h414. As for primers use what ever you can find a reliable supply of.

25-06: IMR 7828 SSC gets great velocity and can produce great accuracy well. R22 and H1000 are also great choices, don't shy away from R25 as well, and H4831sc is always a good choice too.

22-250, Varget was always my favorite.

I'd use a F210 for both.

pick yourself up a manual a read it, use it in addition to online sources, $20 to $30 is better than blowing up a rifle and/or a hospital visit. what works well in one gun may not work as well in another. If I'm using Hornaday bullets I buy their manual, they tested their bullets with the components they list. Lyman manuals are good also for a variety of bullets.

Been reading the books and been looking on line. Just asking some questions to get some ideas on what others are useing. Thanks for the info I have got already guys.

Primers: I always used Fed 210's in both calibers but I dont think a specific brand matters as much in the small calibers as it does with the larger slower burning powders.

Bullets: the Vmax in the 22-250 should be an easy one, my 22-250 shoots a lot of bullets well, that was one of the best. The Berger's in the 25-06 my take some more work with seating depth to shoot really well but if you find the recipe it will probably be very good.

Powders: I have always been partial to the Hodgdon powders, the short cut powders are great. 4831 should be a good one for the 25-06 for sure. I just started messing with Ramshot for my magnums and love the ball powder for how easy it is to meter very quick and accurately. You may also find the Ramshot line easier to get depending on where you shop.

• Like 1

Primers: I always used Fed 210's in both calibers but I dont think a specific brand matters as much in the small calibers as it does with the larger slower burning powders.

Bullets: the Vmax in the 22-250 should be an easy one, my 22-250 shoots a lot of bullets well, that was one of the best. The Berger's in the 25-06 my take some more work with seating depth to shoot really well but if you find the recipe it will probably be very good.

Powders: I have always been partial to the Hodgdon powders, the short cut powders are great. 4831 should be a good one for the 25-06 for sure. I just started messing with Ramshot for my magnums and love the ball powder for how easy it is to meter very quick and accurately. You may also find the Ramshot line easier to get depending on where you shop.

Thanks for the good info!!