Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Catalina Sheep management

http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/ariz-wildlife-agency-delays-information-on-bighorns/article_b6682fa9-8b1a-5875-9ad8-2e07832f3e63.html?mobile_touch=true

You would think they would learn from the Obamacare debacle that delaying the numbers won't make it any better. This after the public meeting they had where they said they were going to be transparent? I don't understand their continued effort to step in it?

(Sorry Tony Mandile, I couldn't find your new section for G&F bashing)

• Like 1

Sounds like another Bu- Fu-- abortion case by our talented game and fish dept.. Anyone who has lived and hunted in this state for the last 30 years knows how bad the Lions have got. Why do they introduce Animals where there are tons of em and people with hounds don't hunt them because it is to rugged. That's why there is so many lions in 36c . nobody wants to take the dogs in there. That will be the next place they want to re-introduce Sheep. The Kofa got it from lions . They said there was none there and I saw them with My own 2 eyes ( and My 15's) 20 years ago there on a buddy's hunt. No one believed Me in camp that nite either. What happened to them Sheep #'s? That's why they call em Desert Big horns. They live in the desert. They can survive, except for predators.....BOB!

Now we know why they didn't want to release the information, 8 dead sheep.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/of-bighorns-released-north-of-tucson-have-died/article_98b347ca-853c-11e3-b40f-0019bb2963f4.html

1/23/13

More bighorn sheep have died in a controversial program to reintroduce them into the Catalina Mountains.

The bighorn sheep were released in the area on Nov. 18. Arizona Game and Fish Department officials said today that seven of the sheep were killed by mountain lions and one might have died from stress.

Officials originally reported five bighorn sheep deaths.

The bighorn sheep reintroduction program was created to help restore the herd and the ecosystem. It has received some criticism since officials have killed some of the mountain lions responsible for attacking the sheep.

No mountain lions have been killed in connection to the last three attacks; two mountain lions were killed in other cases.

The Bighorn Sheep Advisory Committee wants to stress not every mountain lion that attacks a sheep will be killed; it's on a case by case basis and only if they can be sure the mountain lion has been identified.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

I know some info on this topic, my step-daughter is a AZGF biologist that worked on the capture/release of these sheep. She also has the ability to track them via satellite.

I think a biweekly update is fine. And if a sheep dies on a given day, it's way too soon to expect answers the following day. The collars give off a mortality ping if the animal hasn't moved in 24 hours. But you get the same ping if the collars come off, and they are designed to come off if the animals collar gets snagged, they out grow it, or in 24 months, whichever comes first.

And each mortality ping means that collar is tracked down by a ground crew and if there is a dead animal, the animal is carried back to the lab for necropsy. This takes time. The first ram that died perished from cardiomyopathy. But when ground crews found it, a bear was happily munching on it, Should they have run to the mics and claimed a bear was the culprit, when in reality, bears and mountain lions scavenge.

Perhaps AZGF has put a little too much faith in the wildlife corridor improvements made. Seems every time AZGF helps some critters, others pay the price. They build catchments and conduits to help game survive and travel about. But the predators quickly adapt too and use these man made improvements to help catch their prey there.

In GMU 37A, AZGF writes about mountain lions.... Mountan lions lounge in the overflow tubes of the AZ Canal to ambush wildlife... Duh.

Guest 300ultramag.

Had they ( the G&f)visited the "ask the expert" portion of this forum... This very well could have been avoided..

• Like 3

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Mountain Lion....

Your very welcome. But please understand that the wealth redistribution of the tasty mutton was for all to enjoy, including someday, we pesky human hunters. Why allow only your cousins and that crazy uncle Leo of yours, over in the Kofa Range, enjoy the feast?

Your thanks and gratitude may be somewhat premature, however. When we released those zany, madcaps into your backyard, the rams didn't give a d@mn and the ewes seemed rather askew. But that's ending now and the sheep are re-banding and herding up. More eyes and ears at the waterhole and fewer solo acts mean you'll be working harder for your meals. And by exploiting these wooly, tender loins, you've exposed yourself for some much needed kitty cleansing. Perhaps if you hear more hounds at bay, you'll find a little less time for that procreation, recreation?

Fewer felines means more sheep, more deer and safer trails for those hippie hikers. If you're still around next fall, there will be another sheep release. I'll be looking for you there (looking thru my 3-9x Redfield, that is).

Sincerely, AZGF