3 Americans abducted on hunting trip in Mexico

By JAMES PINKERTON

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS

Email Get section feed

Print Subscribe NOW

RESOURCES

Hunting trip kidnapping

Site of kidnapping HARLINGEN — Three U.S. citizens — including a prominent Laredo customs broker and a Sweetwater businessman — were kidnapped Sunday along with two others after going deer hunting in northern Mexico, U.S. authorities said Tuesday.

A gang of armed men swept into the 6,500-acre Rancho La Barranca in the northern state of Coahuila Sunday evening and abducted the five, including customs broker Librado Piña Jr., 49; his son, Librado Piña III, 25; Sweetwater businessman David Mueller, 45; and two Mexicans — ranch cook Marco Ortiz and Monterrey resident Fidel Rodriguez Cerdan.

Though details were sketchy Tuesday night, U.S. officials and relatives of the kidnapped men were stunned by the attack.

''We're pulling out all the stops," said one U.S. law enforcement agent, who asked not to be identified.

''We're going to go through the proper channels, but obviously we have back channels ... from years of experience trying to resolve these things."

A Mexican investigator who spoke on condition of anonymity said the ranch was ransacked and such items as washing machines and beds were stolen, giving the case an unusual twist.

"In a kidnapping, they aren't going to go about stealing objects," said the official.

"It's an unusual situation."

The abductions of Piña Jr., his son and Mueller bring this year's tally of Americans kidnapped in Mexico to 33.

Of those, 14 Americans were kidnapped in the Nuevo Laredo area.

No previous threats

Piña family members said they suspected the kidnapping was financially motivated.

"We absolutely cannot pinpoint the reason for this," a family member said.

"We believe they saw a wealthy person with a big ranch house in Mexico and they went to see what they could steal."

Family members said Piña Jr. had not been threatened.

"If he had, he would have never gone to the ranch and put his life or the life of other people in danger," said another family member.

Family members said they learned about the crime after two Mexican clients traveled to the ranch for a hunt, but found the house in shambles.

The Piñas say they immediately contacted Mexican officials in Nuevo Laredo and Coahuila and met with the FBI that afternoon.

Piña Jr. owns the ranch, which offers trophy whitetail-deer hunts and is located about a 30-minute drive northwest of the Colombia Bridge in Laredo.

Santos Vasquez Estrada, the local head of the Coahuila state attorney general's office, said Piña Jr. may have been the main target of the attack.

The U.S. law enforcement source who spoke on condition of anonymity said it does not appear that the abducted men had any connection to ongoing turf wars that have killed hundreds of people in Mexico this year.

''We don't, at this time, have any hard evidence that any of these people were involved in any illicit activity," the source said.

Group was well-armed

The five men were hunting at the ranch about 8 p.m. Sunday when the assailants arrived.

''A large group did take over the ranch, and they were well-armed," the source said.

U.S. officials said Tuesday that no ransom requests had been made so far.

''Since the kidnapping occurred within the sovereign nation of Mexico, the FBI has initiated a Foreign Police Cooperation investigation," said a statement from D. True Brown, acting special agent in charge of the FBI's San Antonio division.

La Barranca ranch is one of two owned by Piña Jr., a second-generation Laredo customs broker, industrialist and owner of the Corona beer distributorship.

His abduction shocked members of the close-knit Texas Deer Association.

''Librado has been a director on our board for several years, and is a good active member," said president Scott W. Bugai, a veterinarian from Seguin.

''I've been down to his ranch in Laredo, and he's a super-nice guy," Bugai said. ''This is a shock. What's the world coming to?"

Lane Laning, the deer association's treasurer, said Piña Jr. has worked hard to introduce game management to ranches in northern Mexico.

''Boy, I'm praying for him ... and for Mr. Mueller, too," said Laning, who manages the 5F Game Ranch outside of Sweetwater. ''It's sad Mexico is turning out like this."

Employees of Mueller's company, Sweetwater Steel, were distraught.

''It's been a long day, a pretty rough day," said J.L. Goldsmith, a salesman at the company that sells steel for construction.

San Antonio Express-News correspondent Sean Mattson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

james.pinkerton@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4366020.html

Mexico is out of control!!!!!!!

Nov. 29, 2006, 2:58PM

3 Americans abducted on hunting trip in Mexico

By JAMES PINKERTON

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS

Email Get section feed

Print Subscribe NOW

RESOURCES

Hunting trip kidnapping

Site of kidnapping HARLINGEN — Three U.S. citizens — including a prominent Laredo customs broker and a Sweetwater businessman — were kidnapped Sunday along with two others after going deer hunting in northern Mexico, U.S. authorities said Tuesday.

A gang of armed men swept into the 6,500-acre Rancho La Barranca in the northern state of Coahuila Sunday evening and abducted the five, including customs broker Librado Piña Jr., 49; his son, Librado Piña III, 25; Sweetwater businessman David Mueller, 45; and two Mexicans — ranch cook Marco Ortiz and Monterrey resident Fidel Rodriguez Cerdan.

Though details were sketchy Tuesday night, U.S. officials and relatives of the kidnapped men were stunned by the attack.

''We're pulling out all the stops," said one U.S. law enforcement agent, who asked not to be identified.

''We're going to go through the proper channels, but obviously we have back channels ... from years of experience trying to resolve these things."

A Mexican investigator who spoke on condition of anonymity said the ranch was ransacked and such items as washing machines and beds were stolen, giving the case an unusual twist.

"In a kidnapping, they aren't going to go about stealing objects," said the official.

"It's an unusual situation."

The abductions of Piña Jr., his son and Mueller bring this year's tally of Americans kidnapped in Mexico to 33.

Of those, 14 Americans were kidnapped in the Nuevo Laredo area.

No previous threats

Piña family members said they suspected the kidnapping was financially motivated.

"We absolutely cannot pinpoint the reason for this," a family member said.

"We believe they saw a wealthy person with a big ranch house in Mexico and they went to see what they could steal."

Family members said Piña Jr. had not been threatened.

"If he had, he would have never gone to the ranch and put his life or the life of other people in danger," said another family member.

Family members said they learned about the crime after two Mexican clients traveled to the ranch for a hunt, but found the house in shambles.

The Piñas say they immediately contacted Mexican officials in Nuevo Laredo and Coahuila and met with the FBI that afternoon.

Piña Jr. owns the ranch, which offers trophy whitetail-deer hunts and is located about a 30-minute drive northwest of the Colombia Bridge in Laredo.

Santos Vasquez Estrada, the local head of the Coahuila state attorney general's office, said Piña Jr. may have been the main target of the attack.

The U.S. law enforcement source who spoke on condition of anonymity said it does not appear that the abducted men had any connection to ongoing turf wars that have killed hundreds of people in Mexico this year.

''We don't, at this time, have any hard evidence that any of these people were involved in any illicit activity," the source said.

Group was well-armed

The five men were hunting at the ranch about 8 p.m. Sunday when the assailants arrived.

''A large group did take over the ranch, and they were well-armed," the source said.

U.S. officials said Tuesday that no ransom requests had been made so far.

''Since the kidnapping occurred within the sovereign nation of Mexico, the FBI has initiated a Foreign Police Cooperation investigation," said a statement from D. True Brown, acting special agent in charge of the FBI's San Antonio division.

La Barranca ranch is one of two owned by Piña Jr., a second-generation Laredo customs broker, industrialist and owner of the Corona beer distributorship.

His abduction shocked members of the close-knit Texas Deer Association.

''Librado has been a director on our board for several years, and is a good active member," said president Scott W. Bugai, a veterinarian from Seguin.

''I've been down to his ranch in Laredo, and he's a super-nice guy," Bugai said. ''This is a shock. What's the world coming to?"

Lane Laning, the deer association's treasurer, said Piña Jr. has worked hard to introduce game management to ranches in northern Mexico.

''Boy, I'm praying for him ... and for Mr. Mueller, too," said Laning, who manages the 5F Game Ranch outside of Sweetwater. ''It's sad Mexico is turning out like this."

Employees of Mueller's company, Sweetwater Steel, were distraught.

''It's been a long day, a pretty rough day," said J.L. Goldsmith, a salesman at the company that sells steel for construction.

San Antonio Express-News correspondent Sean Mattson and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

james.pinkerton@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4366020.html

It was just a matter of time--this is no surprise to me and it shouldn't be to anyone on here or in the USA unless they have been under a rock.

There are a lot of very good people in Mexico but there are a lot of really bad people too (just like here in the USA) If these bad people can make a buck off of rich people then they will start kidnapping people at a higher rate. (Just my opinion here)

Out of control?? Please... I bet more people are kidnapped in the US everyday....

Remember last years mass killing of hunters in WI??? What would you call that??? Is the US out of control?

J-

Jamaro

The U.S is out of control we have shooting all night long in phoenix. . One of the biggest reasons we are out of control in the U.S is beeing talked about in another thread on this site. So we do not need to go over it again here. we know it is the goverment down there that is screwed up just like ours is here. If you ask me it is out of control. I am not trying to start a fight but i get a bit pissed at this stuff myself. I will never hunt Mexico because i do not trust it. I know lots of people on here do hunt it and to each there own.

Someone started a board on this same topic yesterday titled "Heads up for you Mexico hunters." One of the replies on there has a link to a White House report on the border issue. It's about 40 pages, but well worth your time to read it.

Yes, but in WI, the culprits were arrested! In Mexico the Government and Police are in on the kidnapping!

Plus the killing in WI was done by a Hmong immigrant from Asia, not an American in my book.

I don't trust Mexico either, never have. I've always always felt uncomfortable when I've gone down there. I love it here in the good ol USA!

I have traveled many places in the world and extensively in Mexico. I have never felt uncomfortable or nervous. I have found the Mexican people to be friendly, generous and hospitable. I have had the great honor of eating dinner in the homes of complete strangers. Mi casa es su casa. How many of you guys have had a complete stranger over for dinner? Let me qualify this by saying I am also one of the whitest people in the world and sadly can only speak three sentences in Spanish. The recent kidnappings are a cause for concern and can obviously make Mexico very scary. So if you have already booked and paid for your hunt down south don't despair. I know a poor guy who is willing to take on the burden and worry of your hunt for you. He is prepared to be put in harms way, so you can live out your dream of a Mexican hunt through him. If this sounds appealing to you please don't hesitate to PM me. I will even send a post card and a couple of pictures of your trophy buck.

Bob

Yes, but in WI, the culprits were arrested! In Mexico the Government and Police are in on the kidnapping!

Show me some documentation. Cops and people that work for the government break laws all the time in the US... What makes Mexico any different?????

J-

Guys,

Don't make a major issue about one isolated incident that happened to get major publicity.

I've been a frequent visitor to Mexico for nearly 30 years now, and normally DRIVE my own vehicle there. I even spent two weeks alone a few years back with a major trip to Copper Canyon, including the drive down to the bottom. And from there I headed south as far as Puerto Vallarta, mostly driving the back-country roads. Over the years, I've driven there to hunt Coues deer with Duwane Adams, turkey, doves and waterfowl -- all without incident.

Also, we own two time shares in Mazatlan, and we use them either once or twice every year. My wife feels safer walking the streets there at night alone than she does walking in our own Glendale neighborhood during the daylight hours. In fact, I often leave her alone there for a day or two so I can go fish at Lake El Salto, which is about 1.5 hrs. north of Mazatlan. She manages just fine and often walks to one of the several nearby restaurant to have dinner on her own.

As Bob said, for the most part the Mexican people AWAY from the border are gracious hosts, We have made many, many friends among them and always look forward to seeing them each year.

Banditos in Mexico? Sure, but probably fewer than we have in this country. The Phx serial shooters probably killed more innocent people than those innocent people killed in the entire state of Sonora over the past two years. Most of the killings there involve rival drug gangs, similar to what happens EVERY day in EVERY major U.S. city. -TONY

I too am heading to Mexico day after Xmas. My cousin is driving there right now for a quick scouting trip near Hermosillo. This will be my first hunting trip but I have been all over Mexico many times and there is nothing to worry about, anymore than what we worry about here. Feeling uncomfortable in Mexico as Josh stated is unfortunate. The majority of the Mexican people are absolutely wonderful and very very hospitable. I happen to speak a fair amount of Spanish, which doesnt' hurt. Don't let these few isolated incidents prevent you from enjoying it down there. I know I will!!

Banditos in Mexico? Sure, but probably fewer than we have in this country. The Phx serial shooters probably killed more innocent people than those innocent people killed in the entire state of Sonora over the past two years. Most of the killings there involve rival drug gangs, similar to what happens EVERY day in EVERY major U.S. city. -TONY

OK :lol: banditos in this country sure< but probably less in there country as ours. (well I wonder why).

jamaro

you show us some documentation

I have a sister in law that went down to help a friend move some stuff to her condo down there. She went over a month ago. No one has heard from her from the day she left her friends house About three weeks ago. She was going in a cab to the air port. We hope all is well with her and that she is ok. So while we are wondering if we can find any documentation . Why set here and fight with us when you know for a fact that things south of the border are very vaulatile. I grew up with mexican people And not far from the border so i know they are some of the best heart felt people you can ever come across.

This kidnaping mentioned above took place in mexico not the US. So you are compairing something to nothing. Yes we know our country is in desprate need of a fixing and i am sure it is on the way. But all that was said is this took place so we need to be carful about going down there. this has nothing to do with the kidnapping but pay close atention to the crimes being comited in this country right now and the names of most of those comiting the crimes. You will find them to be white, Black, Indian, And MEXICAN. Most of the Mexican crimes are being comited by those that are here un documented as i can tell. not those that live here and are great loving people. But those that came here as a criminal and are still acting like a criminal.

How can you show documentation of something that we don't know????

That is like asking for proof that the chupacabra doesn't exists... :blink: :blink: :blink: Think about it..

J-

Guest Ernesto C

I completly agree with Outdoor Writer There are good people every were as there are bad people too but for some reason.....here some of us......dont want to see that.

God bless you all were ever your go, Mexico, U.S.A.,Canada,Africa or were ever you go/are. Amen.

In one occasion, I cant remember who was it but I think was Mike (Rembrant who posted this:

Read Ephesians Chapter 6 vers 10 - 13. but very specially read the vers 12. Rembrant was/is correct but remember that above all is the Lord the one that is correct. Some of you will not understand this but some of you will. You'll know what to do once you understand it.

Again God bless all of you may fellow members and God bless all the people travelling to Mexico this hunting season, we should not worry if the Lord is with us.

Ernesto C