capoeirajosh

trichinosis question

Since I tagged my first lion, I have acquired a meat thermometer. I read that trichinosis will die at 165 degrees. My question is, do you probe the meat while say in your frying pan or grill, or do you want to take the meat off of said thing and then probe it. Also, how would you check the temp of ground, not in burger form? I have been doing it while in the pan or on the grill. Lion is absolutely delicious. Just curious what others do.

You want the thermometer to be in the center most portion of the meat no mater the type. Basically where the meat would be coolest durring cooking so you are sure to get all meat to the correct temp, keep in mind most meat will go up in temp off the heat up to 8 degrees or more while resting. I have a nice digital that stays in at all time even on the grill. My oven has a temp probe built in which is nice.

• Like 1

Lion is absolutely delicious.

I'm glad I'm not the only one..... I have had Lion back strap steak, Lion machaca, and Lion country fried steak. My mouth is watering as I type this......

• Like 1

One thing to note that is very important is, make sure you know where your thermometer probe is reading from. For example, some probes take their reading from the tip, others from a section halfway up the probe shaft. You'll see the "crimp" along the shaft if its the latter.

So, when probing the meat, you want to take the internal temp from the center most portion. Make sure you aren't probing too far if your thermometer reads from the tip, and make sure you insert the probe needle far enough, if it reads along the shaft.

To answer your first question, probe the meat in the oven, skillet, whatever. No need to remove from heat.

Try not to probe the meat unnecessarily as you'll just make the meat bleed out then.

As for ground meat, you won't probe the meat, but more than likely, you'll be at over 165*f once its browned and on the stovetop for a while.

/>

Lion is absolutely delicious.

I'm glad I'm not the only one..... I have had Lion back strap steak, Lion machaca, and Lion country fried steak. My mouth is watering as I type this......

Haha!! So good!

/>One thing to note that is very important is, make sure you know where your thermometer probe is reading from. For example, some probes take their reading from the tip, others from a section halfway up the probe shaft. You'll see the "crimp" along the shaft if its the latter.

So, when probing the meat, you want to take the internal temp from the center most portion. Make sure you aren't probing too far if your thermometer reads from the tip, and make sure you insert the probe needle far enough, if it reads along the shaft.

To answer your first question, probe the meat in the oven, skillet, whatever. No need to remove from heat.

Try not to probe the meat unnecessarily as you'll just make the meat bleed out then.

As for ground meat, you won't probe the meat, but more than likely, you'll be at over 165*f once its browned and on the stovetop for a while.

Great info! Thanks everyone!

Guest akaspecials

I've grown up hearing of Trichinosis in pigs, but not lions. Is it common in lions? Are there other game animals it should be a concern in?

/>I've grown up hearing of Trichinosis in pigs, but not lions. Is it common in lions? Are there other game animals it should be a concern in?

Bears and lions.