Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

2013 San Carlos Success update-full mount pics

Posted April 09 2013 - 10:42 PM

After not seeing or even hearing a bird for two days and getting beaten to my area of choice by other hunters Monday morning, I had to come up with plan "C". I drove to an area I've never been in, and started hiking in to try to make something happen. Well, I realized I had parked on a huge path of scratching that looked fresh, started following it and within 1/2 hour I heard my first gobble along with some hen yelps...the chase was on!
I caught up to a flock of 14 birds, 1 good gobbler, some jakes and the rest hens. They responded to my calls, but kept heading where they wanted to go, so I had to stalk them. I got close 4 times, going over two ridges, across 1 meadow, and then we played zig and zag on this one ridge, until finally I saw them through an opening in the trees. They were moving in a single file, passing one by one through the opening. I didn't know if "my bird" had gone by yet, so I took aim and watched as they went by. Then the big gobbler appeared and I blasted him from what wound up being a 71 yard shot. He weighed 17.3 pounds and had a 9" beard! I packed it up amongst the high winds that started about then and beat the rain (and mud) home. 2 for 2 on the San Carlos!

Me and 3 of my friends that "took me" turkey hunting for the first time (back in '04?) have tags for next year-should be a hoot...er...yelp of a time.

post-736-0-40133100-1365572349_thumb.jpg
The picture isn't very good, only got 3 before the camera croaked.

Thanks for looking, Tommy

UPDATE 1/31/2014:

I just picked up my 2013 San Carlos bird from Sven at Wildlife Wings Designs. I had him do a walking pose, just like it was doing when I last saw it. :) Sven did his usual awesome job! I forgot how big this Tom was.

post-736-0-39339300-1391235061_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-65436500-1391235395_thumb.jpg

That bird looks bigger than 17.3lbs. Congratulations on a good bird Tommy. You certainly had a good 2013 season. I've never hunted turkeys on the San Carlos but seen a bunch up there. They have some of the most beautiful country in our state. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Very nice mount, Congrats. Getting to be that time soon.......BOB!

71 yards! What shotgun/shell combo did you use to make that shot?

I use a Remington Mag 10 with full choke and 2 1/4 ounces of copper #6 and my personal best with that set up is exactly 60 yards!

Bought me a "new" used Remington 3 inch Mag 1100 a month ago. Has a Hasting 26 inch "wad lock" barrel and it came with a bunch of chokes that I'm going to take to the range to try out.

Need some ideas of what kind of shells to try as I may use that for my upcoming San Carlos hunt this year!

Was up there last year with my friend Eric and we got lucky on a pair of long beards; though a bear got Eric's that night after we hung them in a tree NEXT to our wall tent!

post-11017-0-96163600-1394432039_thumb.jpg

My 2013 San Carlos bird

post-11017-0-77997400-1394432068_thumb.jpg

Eric Hawkinberry with his 2013 San Carlos bird

We got them at the same time! They were following some hens towards a roost we knew about and we were set up to intercept them. Set out a couple of decoys and when they came over to check 'em out, we whacked them at 40 yards!

Don Martin

71 yards! What shotgun/shell combo did you use to make that shot?

I use a Remington Mag 10 with full choke and 2 1/4 ounces of copper #6 and my personal best with that set up is exactly 60 yards!

Bought me a "new" used Remington 3 inch Mag 1100 a month ago. Has a Hasting 26 inch "wad lock" barrel and it came with a bunch of chokes that I'm going to take to the range to try out.

Need some ideas of what kind of shells to try as I may use that for my upcoming San Carlos hunt this year!

Was up there last year with my friend Eric and we got lucky on a pair of long beards; though a bear got Eric's that night after we hung them in a tree NEXT to our wall tent!

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/club_3_4/attachicon.gif] Don Martin 2013 San Carlos gobbler.jpg

My 2013 San Carlos bird

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/club_3_4/attachicon.gif] Eric Hawkinberry with Broken Tail San Carlos 2013.jpg

Eric Hawkinberry with his 2013 San Carlos bird

We got them at the same time! They were following some hens towards a roost we knew about and we were set up to intercept them. Set out a couple of decoys and when they came over to check 'em out, we whacked them at 40 yards!

Don Martin

I used a Browning Gold Hunter 12 Guage with a Truglo Strut Stopper Extreme choke that's .642". I shoot Heavishot 3 1/2" magnum #6 shot.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order some of that new Winchester Long Beard ammo (#6 shot) and test it on the patterning board at 40-50-60 yards!

Going to California near the end of the month to hunt on some private property. The owner said they got 12 gobblers on opening day so maybe there will be a blind, dumb and horny gobbler that I can call in!

Good luck and that is a neat mount!

Don Martin

Cool mount

I saw this bird the other day and these pictures don't show it juctice. It's an awesome sight. :)

TJ

Very nice mount! Congratulations!!