Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Arrow builders

Good evening folks,

New to this site and interested in a lot of the discussions. I've done some reading here and found it very informative.

I'm in the market for a new set of arrows and would prefer to work with a local builder vs online ordering. I've had great success with a few online shops but would like to find someone to deal with near home. I live in the east valley of Phoenix, AZ and other than Archery Headquarters in Chandler, don't know of a place or person that specializes or takes great care in building arrows. Anyone out this way have a source they'd like to share? I'm looking at a dozen ACC 340's. Thanks for your help. -Jeff.

Welcome to the site Jeff!

Have you ever considered building your own arrows?? I enjoy it and like playing around with different ideas, wraps and fletches. Anyway, good luck with your quest, and enjoy the site.

GBA

Hey GBA, I have considered it, the thought crossed my mind however I possess neither the equipment nor the knowledge to get that done. I suppose I could invest in the equipment to do so, and it is something I will do in the future but I'm looking at a fairly expensive dozen already and I can't justify, at this point, increasing that cost.

On the other hand, I'm in Queen Creek also and if you're offering to help me through the process I'd be happy to buy the beer... :D

I'm also trying to determine which lighted nock system is best. A shop up in Payson recommended the Tracer RLi but I'm reading mixed results from other users. Having never used a lighted nock before I don't want to waste money on something that won't perform well or is unreliable. I called Easton about it also to find unit weight and warranty info and was told they have discontinued production on them. They have what they have in stock but there aren't any plans to replace with an updated product.

So which one is best?

Go to Ross Outdoors 59th ave and Van Buren. Those boys will help you build whatever arrow you need.

Or I could drive up to Payson and talk to the guys at Chasin A Dream, or order them online, OR lets say I take GotBowAz's suggestion and invest in the equipment to build them myself...

Just looking for opinions and the experience of those who might be willing to pay it forward. I'm a tinkerer, I like to know "why" not just "what." Appreciate the nod to that shop though, I'll check it out this week. ;)

IMO nocturnal lighted nocks are the best. I do not care for lumenok. Had it turn off too many times after the arrow blows thru an animal. I can not stand the way their nock turns on. Nocturnal's turn on with the string , and it takes a small knife or paperclip to turn them off. Fly tru to field points as well.

Well, I stopped by Ross Outdoors today and spoke with one of the guys there for about a half hour. He was quite knowledgeable and gave me some good info. Thanks BigMike.

And I've decided to build my the arrows myself. After doing a little research and with the guidance of a friend whose got some experience, I think I can get it done and have the pride of doing it myself with the attention to detail I like to see. Thanks GotBowAz.

Can you guys suggest fletching and offset? I'm shooting a 70lb Bowtech Allegiance and the arrows I'm planning to build will be ACC 340's, 26.5" long with a 150gr fixed point and weighing 473gr total. I've used 2" blazers but straight fletched and with a much lighter arrow. I'm thinking about trying the Flex Fletch ST300's but this is at the suggestion of an online proshop owner. Has anyone used these or have anything positive/negative to say about them? How much offset should I use with this arrow? I'm assuming I'll need some offset with a heavier head and overall arrow.

Pac8541, Great bow, I have one I bought in 2005. It is now my backup behind my 2011 Invasion.

Actually a heavier arrow will require less offset/helical. With 150gn head you should have a decent amount of FOC but for elk I prefer a little more and with that short of an arrow it would give you a little more momentum down range. The Arizona easy Fletcher has a built in helical that should be good with the set up you plan to use. I like 2 inch blazers, never have tried ST300's. I will be playing around with that this summer.

PM sent.

GBA

I'm no expert but I use a bitsenburger rh helical jig with aae max hunters. I'm shooting axis 340's and have had great results with using the max offset I can get while keeping the base of the fletching flat end to end on the shaft. Again I'm no expert but this set up has worked excellent for me.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but I use a bitsenburger rh helical jig with aae max hunters. I'm shooting axis 340's and have had great results with using the max offset I can get while keeping the base of the fletching flat end to end on the shaft. Again I'm no expert but this set up has worked excellent for me.

The jig I would get and use is the Bitzenburger with the Rh helical. After getting mine and fletching some arrows my groups decreased in size by half. My arrows weigh in around 417 grns. This jig will take a little longer to get them done but you get what you pay for. This jig is metal not plastic and will last for decades, my brother has one we have used from the early 80's. I just needed my own, we seem to want it at the same time. lol

I use the blue AZ Ez fletcher for 2" Blazer vanes on ACC 340 shafts. Works great and fast. Just wipe the shaft with isopropyl alcohol to clean it and a good glue to make sure the vanes stick

One more tip, save some money on the expensive fletching glues and use lock tight gel control super glue. The stuff works awesome, sets quickly, holds strong and is easy to take off if you need to re-fletch.

Sorry, DON'T use isopropyl alcohol, use Denatured alcohol that you get at Home Depot or most hardware stores. The regular isopropyl alcohol leaves a residue on the arrow shaft that will hinder the glue from sticking properly.