Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Setting up a turkey gun

I finally drew a 3C turkey tag this year, and I'm pretty enthused since this will be my first attempt on a turkey. I wanted to see what you experienced turkey hunters recommend for setting up a shotgun. I'm starting out with a 870 Wingmaster Mag in 12 gauge, chambered in 3 in. It has a 28 in light contour barrel; is that going to be too long and awkward for turkey hunting? Also, what choke tubes and turkey loads can you recommend? I'm guessing that it's going to be different with every gun, but again, I'm seeking some input for where to start. I'm thinking a set of fiber optic sights and a sling will be a good investment too. Anything else I might be overlooking? Thanks in advance.

An extra full turkey choke and a good set of sights are most important in my opinion. Shotgun brand doesn't matter as much and your 870 Wingmaster will be great. For sights I like the HiViz TriViz adjustable sights. http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/triviz.html You can buy them at Sportsman's or Bass Pro and they are adjustable left to right and up and down so you can truly sight in and center your pattern. I have tried several other sights and these are the best I have found. You have to be careful with the fiber optics, they break easily but if you do send HiViz an email they will send you replacement fiber optics and or parts at no charge (I have done this twice). As far as shot goes you will have to try a few to see what shoots best out of your gun and choke. I like #6. You get more shot on target. You can make up for the weight difference by going with Winchester extended or hevi shot but it will cost a lot more. Hevi Shot is currently offering a $20 mail in rebate when you buy 2 boxes of 5 shells. Winchester Extended are hard to find, almost impossible online but bass pro still has a bunch in the store but not online (they are my favorite). You don't have to buy the expensive stuff though, I have killed many birds with cheaper copper plated turkey load in #5 & #6's. Hope this helps.

An extra full turkey choke and a good set of sights are most important in my opinion. Shotgun brand doesn't matter as much and your 870 Wingmaster will be great. For sights I like the HiViz TriViz adjustable sights. http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/triviz.html You can buy them at Sportsman's or Bass Pro and they are adjustable left to right and up and down so you can truly sight in and center your pattern. I have tried several other sights and these are the best I have found. You have to be careful with the fiber optics, they break easily but if you do send HiViz an email they will send you replacement fiber optics and or parts at no charge (I have done this twice). As far as shot goes you will have to try a few to see what shoots best out of your gun and choke. I like #6. You get more shot on target. You can make up for the weight difference by going with Winchester extended or hevi shot but it will cost a lot more. Hevi Shot is currently offering a $20 mail in rebate when you buy 2 boxes of 5 shells. Winchester Extended are hard to find, almost impossible online but bass pro still has a bunch in the store but not online (they are my favorite). You don't have to buy the expensive stuff though, I have killed many birds with cheaper copper plated turkey load in #5 & #6's. Hope this helps.

Couldn't agree more. I was hesitant when I got my latest turkey gun (11-87 Thumbhole) with adjustable rifle sights after using standard beads my whole life. Now I couldn't imagine turkey hunting without them. Mine came with Tru-Glo. I broke one the first time out and they sent me a handful of replacement tubes. I use Remington Wingmaster HD (discontinued now) #4 shot (original Hevi-Shot), but when I run out of those, I will likely switch to #5 shot Hevi Shot. I think #5 shot is the perfect compromise between the number of pellets in #6 shot and the heavy hitting power of #4 shot. If you go with Hevi-shot or another non-lead turkey load, you need to look at a choke tube that will handle it. Most standard choke tubes won't and clearly say that ("Not for use with Hevishot). I have a Cabela's Hevi-Shot extra full turkey choke tube and its great. Way back in the day, when I first started, I used a Rem 1100 with a 30" full choke barrel and Remington Nitro Express #4s. There are so many good turkey loads out there now, its unbelievable.

For me, personally, I shoot a Mossberg with full choke. I have tried an extra full choke in the past and the pattern is really too small at the ranges I like to shoot turkeys at......10-20 yards. I love to shoot Remington's Duplex Turkey Loads in 3". Similar to the argument of the #5 being the compromise between #4 and #6, the Duplex load combines both #4 & #6 in the same shell. As far as sights, I say shoot anything you are comfortable with. I have shot the ole' white bb sight, iron "rifle" sights, fiber optic and red dot. For me, I don't prefer one over the other. I have the red dot on my kid's 20 gauge just because it is relatively easy to shoulder and obtain the sight picture quickly.

jeff

Turkey hunters have a tendency to lift there head a little before shooting causing them to shoot over the turkey’s head and miss birds. I have done this without realizing and seen it done and explained before. The red dot sights and enclosed sights like the one I listed above remedy this problem and help you stay focused. Red dots are more expensive and require batteries. I had a friend forfeit an early morning hunt to dead batteries, he should have carried spares but just saying it can and does happen. Using the factory bead takes out all sighting adjustments, where you pattern centers it centers and there is no changing it. Since switching to this new style of sights I have almost eliminated missed shots on turkey.

Or you can be like me on my first turkey hunt and take my grandpa's old Browning Automatic with nothing but a bead at the end of a barrel and get there late the night before season opener and sleep in the back of my truck to be woken up at about 5:30am by a turkey gobbling up on the hillside. I actually got up, got dressed and took off chasing and ended up calling that thing in and was back at the truck by 6:15. Talk about beginners luck.

• Like 1