Win264

SC Rez Malay Gap hunt help

I noticed in previous years that tags sold on the SC Rez 1st come 1st serve, and that it was changed to a draw this year, so I applied as I do for a couple of the other state draws, not really expecting to be drawn.... normally just getting a preference point, well this year I was successful...... I drew the 1st Malay Gap elk hunt.

I am hoping to find out about the possibility of doing this as a DIY hunt, also if I did want to go with a guide are there are any that you would recommend, I don't know a lot about the hunt or the area but I plan and will, make a trip or 2 out to do some scouting, if any one has done this hunt or knows someone who has, and wanted to let me know what quality animal I could expect to see, places that allow camping, problems I may encounter, or any other information....I would appreciate it. I know that I can't use an ATV or have anyone hunt with me other than a Rez guide, so if there is anyone that does pack outs.....anything would be appreciated and hopefully I can return the courtesy some time!

It's been awhile since i have helped with a hunt here,Most years not that great, many,many broken up bulls I don't

know what your goals are, but if you have killed big elk hold out for a stud,if not shoot the first 300 inch bull you see

It can really be super muddy on this hunt, so bring 2 sets of chains and extra gas,My buddy killed a broken up 380 bull

had to prove to them were he shot it cause this isn't the norm for this hunt.this isn't a Dry Lake hunt, so don't expect to

see big bulls or many bulls for that matter on this hunt

Thanks for the info, all of it is good! I hadn't thought about the chains but I have seen it rain in Sept in Az. Sounds like there are elk in the area, with the possibility of a boomer. Thanks I appreciate it!

Yea..... I didn't mention it was in Sept.....my bad! Do you have any experience or knowledge about the Sept hunt?

Anything and everything is welcome!

Anytime it rains the roads get juicy. Bring the chains as the monsoon thunderstorms likely will occur during your hunt. San Carlos has a clay soil that is world class slippery.

I've hunted turkey in the spring around the Malay area. See elk occasionally but not many. There are elk rubs here and there from the previous Sept. Not a lot of sign. I'd say you'll need to give yourself as much time as possible in your hunt area. Likely, you've got a tough hunt on your hands. FWIW the elk I've encountered in the Malay area are wired like whitetails. They move out quick!

Thanks Swivelhead for the confirmation on the chains and the info, good to hear you have seen elk and sign in the area. I've heard there is a small resident herd there, but I've also heard that since the fire some of the elk from WM moved over and didn't go back.

I also heard there were some good elk taken last year. I'm plan to do a recon before the season opens and also to get there a few days early and hunt all 15 days if that's what it takes. We'll see!

Although there may be fisherman hitting Black river at Ten of Diamonds and fellow elk hunters in the area, you will need to be self sufficient. It really is a remote area. Bring lots of fuel for the truck. You'll be 80+ miles from a fuel source. Cell service is non-existent to really poor.

• Like 1

I can remember taking 50 gallons of extra fuel when heading all the way back in there. Bite the bullet and take atleast 25 extra gallons of fuel. It sucks to waste 160 miles to get gas.

Will do on the fuel!! I have a diesel....and have a 80 gal tank in the bed, plus 38 in the tank. What would be closest place foe diesel....San Carlos?

I received my permit for the hunt today.

I was told that there is no camping north of Rd 1900 to the east boundary but camping is allowed on Rd 2000 north, do you know if that's all the time or just during the elk hunts?

What hunt u got? 1st or 2nd hunt in September? I shot a nice bull in Malay last year .... I know Malay well

post-5044-0-12345300-1393194288_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

He's a bruiser! Awesome bull Hoss! I have the first hunt Sept 1-15, when did you take your bull?