Sign in to follow this  
shedghost

Skunked In 33. Anyone get one?

Had to head back to Phoenix empty handed because I Gotta save those days off in case I get drawn for Elk. Was hunting Chimney Rock area, tons of old scat but nothing fresh. Like they moved out of the area. Curious if anyone on here got one in Unit 33. Talked to several hunters on the 3rd day from different areas and not one had seen a pig or even scat. Weird, would herds migrate higher up? Was thinking no way they would be higher, but no one down lower had gotten a pig. Moved to back side of Mt. Lemmon highway but boy was it crowded.

Thanks!

Pigs are few and far between in redington area. I got one back in archery season just east of chimney rock. There's only one place that I can say I know there will be pigs every year. 8-10 years ago there were herds everywhere. I just don't understand what's happening to them???

33 is one of the most mis managed units int the state. Chimney rock used to have several different herds that roamed around there... But that was the good ole days before $$$ ran the game and fish department.

Guest akaspecials
Pigs are few and far between in redington area. I got one back in archery season just east of chimney rock. There's only one place that I can say I know there will be pigs every year. 8-10 years ago there were herds everywhere. I just don't understand what's happening to them???

Game and fish runs way too many hunters through the areas so everyone gets an "opportunity" but no one gets a quality hunt. As stated by 520hunt, it's all about money. And quite frankly thats why I'm hunting out of state more and more...

There used to be pigs everywhere in 33. Back when I was a pig hunter it was rare to not kill on new years day with a bow. Not to mention glassing up atleast 3 herds, no after the closest, mess that up go to the next....so on so forth. But them days are gone. Why? Ask the azgfd. I have seen the #'s come back a Lil, but not even close enough for the amount of tags offered. I don't have a degree in wildlife fisheries biology, but it don't need to read a bunch of books for atleast 4 yrs to figure something's up.

Agree 33 has been getting pounded the last few years use to see pigs all over now I actually have to look. I know a outfitter showed a group of hunters where to find a few herds n those ppl have wiped out all the herds in that area there back every year it's ridiculous. Sad thing is there not from here either so they don't care.

• Like 1

My 10 son, friend and I all shot pigs on Sat. Found a herd within 10 mins of glassing on Fri evening, was trying to setup my son to get a shot, then somebody shot in the area and the pigs spooked.

Saturday morning found another herd within the first 2 hours, we all three shot / tagged pigs.

Yesterday my buddy took out his nephew and shot at two different herds.

Last year, my 16 old son, friend and I all shot pigs on the second day..

I've never had any problems finding pigs in the unit. Between my family and friends hunts I was on this year, we killed 9 out of 5 different herds

My daughter and I have glassed every other weekend since Christmas and have not found a pig yet.We have found everything in our glasses from wt deer to mt lion. This was the first year we had a pig tag. The previous 7 years we have seen pigs during deer hunting. I think they are getting up a little higher due to hunt pressure. Even though we have not seen any pigs, there is nothing like watching my 9 year old daughter get excited about a 100 plus buck(that she glassed up by herself). We will try it again Wed. afternoon when she gets out of school. Good luck!

A buddy of mine was in 33 this weekend. He told me they didn't spot any pigs all day Fri/Sat. On Sunday he spotted a herd of 8 Javi 800yds away from his camp. Him and his son ended up filling their tags.

a javelina makes an easy meal for a mtn lion. I would speculate an additional negative impact on the javelina numbers the last 10 years can be related to the increased number of mtn lions.

• Like 1

Buddy's nephew killed one this morning after missing yesterday.

I hunted archery in 33 for 2 days in Dec. Saw three herds.

I would agree there are a lot of tags in 33, but there are plenty of pigs.

I hunted 33 Friday and Saturday off the Mt. Lemon highway. Only pig I seen was hanging in a tree. Hunted lower on Friday and yes it was crowed by road hunters. Went up high and hiked away from roads on Saturday. Saw lots of Coues up higher and some pig sign close to water but no pigs. Seen lots of deer and some good ones at that. Now I know why 33 has leftover tags. Congrats to those who found them! And good luck to those who are still at it!

Thanks to all for the replies. Only have two buddies who hunt (one of them got skunked with me) so it's neat to be able to talk to you all. Going to try to be on the board more.

- You guys bring up some good points. It did seem like too many Hunters in the unit.

- I remember seeing Pig all the time in Reddington road/ Monument in the late 90's when I used to live in Tucson and worked for the Forest Service. Remember finding dead pigs left to Rot in the road before Bellota Ranch Road and shotgun shells. Hunters always seemed to have a game bag hanging in tree during General Rifle Hunt. I even remember a pig running across the road and a pointy helmet bike rider collided into him around soldiers trail.

- I only scouted one weekend ( will only put in for pig and deer in unit 21 from now on) due to being poor. Wasn't even going to hunt Pig, because I was brainwashed that they taste bad. But ended up picking up left over tag.

- When scouting, found lots of fresh sign way back by Monument by Chivo Falls, past Italian Trap. But I also had found fresh sign in Chimney Rock area and since we didnt' take quad we chose this area to hunt. This was back on New Years, so maybe they are just migrating as it seems about 50/50 of hunters are not seeing anything and the others are filling their tags.