Sign in to follow this  
dvl4lf

Any youth drawn yet?

I agree with your comment Titanium that each individual is different. My main point is these youngsters are just figuring out what their interests are and there is a short window of opportunity to add hunting to other alternatives such as sports and/or technical interests as they try to find themselves and what they will focus more on as their lives progress. If a youngster strikes out in his earliest opportunities, does not experience success, or even has a disappointing experience with his first tag it is more likely he/she will pursue other interests as they mature in life. So the challenge is for families and AGFD to set the table of success early on in our children's lives.

I agree with your comment Titanium that each individual is different. My main point is these youngsters are just figuring out what their interests are and there is a short window of opportunity to add hunting to other alternatives such as sports and/or technical interests as they try to find themselves and what they will focus more on as their lives progress. If a youngster strikes out in his earliest opportunities, does not experience success, or even has a disappointing experience with his first tag it is more likely he/she will pursue other interests as they mature in life. So the challenge is for families and AGFD to set the table of success early on in our children's lives.

AMEN!

Guys I do agree, my son has had some really good success.

His first year no, but what was etched in him from that first unsuccessful year was the desire and ambition to make the next year a success.

He learned what to do and what not to do and the following year he took a doe and a nice small racked buck.

He knows hes not going to kill everytime hes out but its always the "possibility" that it will happen and that is his drive.

My son said he would rather not draw a tag then to go after a cow elk, personally I cant blame him but in the end it was his choice that I let him make.

Now since he didnt draw he says if he can pick up a leftover cow tag hes all in but dont want to burn his points on a cow elk hunt.

Btw my son is 10 yrs old.

Guys I do agree, my son has had some really good success. His first year no, but what was etched in him from that first unsuccessful year was the desire and ambition to make the next year a success. He learned what to do and what not to do and the following year he took a doe and a nice small racked buck. He knows hes not going to kill everytime hes out but its always the "possibility" that it will happen and that is his drive. My son said he would rather not draw a tag then to go after a cow elk, personally I cant blame him but in the end it was his choice that I let him make. Now since he didnt draw he says if he can pick up a leftover cow tag hes all in but dont want to burn his points on a cow elk hunt. Btw my son is 10 yrs old.

If he is 10 then why is he worried about "burning points" if he will only have 1 or 2 (hunter ed and or loyalty)????????? And has he ever shot an elk?

Like I said he wants a bull.

Hes got 2 points as of now.

Right now his mindset is a big bull....obviously that requires bp's

His choice not mine but I think he looks at our walls in my home and sees all of my trophies, hence my saying each child has his/her own goals.

My son is going to be a lifelong hunter im sure of that so im not worried about him losing interest.

Heck, if he drew the tag, more power to him, I just think that he should at least hunt a cow before he jumps to a bull so that he will appreciate the bull even more.

I blame you for killing to many big bulls and hanging them on your wall so that he sees them everyday...... ;)

I think your missing the one major factor......nonresident.

We are not going to have ALL the opportunities a resident is going to have and we want to make the few opportunities we do get on what WE feel best suits us.

I think your missing the one major factor......nonresident. We are not going to have ALL the opportunities a resident is going to have and we want to make the few opportunities we do get on what WE feel best suits us.

Gotcha....I now see you live in the Midwest...

Looks like we have 4 of them. Two of them for 3C and two for 22. With my first antelope tag this year too, it is going to be a busy fall.