Sign in to follow this  
jaymzth007

Should I switch to a drop away?

The most enticing thing about hunting is making sure you go thru all the steps, especially when it counts. Drop away....all the way. Less arrow friction is always a +. Find your target, draw back smooth, pick your spot, squeeze.....don't forget to squeeze the trigger, and follow thru. WB 's are for lazy peeps. IMHO

I've been shooting Trophy Taker drop a ways for as long as I can remember. I've taken many trophies on stalks and never had any issues with sound or mechanics. I've shot WBs and their groups don't compare, especially at extended ranges(100+) or when using helical fletching. I've recently switched to the Smack Down Pro on my Carbon Spyder 34 and like the full containment. The wide launcher eliminates the chances of your arrow falling off during the draw cycle. This limb driven design stays on your arrow longer and drops quicker than cable attached types thus ensuring better flight and fletch clearance. I chose to attach it to the upper limb so I can keep an eye on it, and it clears better on the shooting machine when I tune my arrows. In my opinion if I can do anything to be more accurate its my obligation to do so (for the sake of the animals). WBs are stone age training wheels! Do yourself a SOLID and switch. My 2 pennies.

• Like 1

I've tried them all. If you're shooting competition then try all the rest but when it comes to hunting and you don't want any problems then stay with a WB

No worries when it comes to arrows falling of the rest or any mechanical problems that will occur at the worse moment with other rest. Whisper Biscuit! :)

TJ

Well, I haven't tried them all, but most, but I will say in my experience if there is a moving part I can assure you sometime will go wrong sooner or later. I certainly don't want to chance that in a hunting situation.

I agree accuracy is much better anytime you aren't making contact with any part of the arrow but I'm strictly a close range shooter so the difference in accuracy with the whisker biscuit doesn't bother me any.

Now I know someone is going to ask what is a close range shooter. I take great pride in seeing how close I can get to an animal before shooting with my bow and I don't need to worry about an arrow falling off my rest or moving around at close range so that is why I have gone to the whisker biscuit. Under 20yrd is my goal and my last 6 elk were shot under 15yrds.

Now, how that makes me a lazy peep I'm not sure but maybe johnnie blaze could go more into detail so us lazy peeps have a better understanding of ourselves. :)

Fixed rests still dominate all target archery venues, so the accuracy argument is null.

However, if your form is inconsistent, a drop away will tend to be more forgiving. For example: bow torque has less effect on a arrow with a drop-away due to less contact and therefore less steerage. This only works well if you time the rest to fall in the first 2-4 inches of arrow travel.

whisker biscuits are dang near bomb proof, with no moving parts. Drop aways have moving parts, actuator cables that love catching brush and migrating changing rest timing, not to mention plastic launchers/cradles.

There is always a strong argument for K.I.S.S.

I use a drop away because I shoot 4 fletch. So I compromised and went with a full containment fall away with all metal parts.

Good luck, and good shooting.

• Like 1

So you shoot a drop away..... Yes fixed rests dominate target venues, but who shoots whisker biscuits for target?????? Who has perfect form?????? Who can't use a more forgiving rest????? When I'm at the range I can pay extra close attention to my form and hope it becomes second nature and translates perfectly into a hunting situation. However when I hunt this steep and rugged terrain after these ghosts perfect form is not always there. Sometimes your crouching, kneeling, sitting, or off camber on a steep hill or rock shooting past obstacles.. I'll take all the help I can from a more forgiving rest.

I agree with Creed, my QAD Ultra is awesome. The arrow cannot fall off unless I want it to so that whole issue just doesn't exist. It's been completely reliable, is infinitely adjustable, and is quiet and consistent.

Go with what you feel the most confidence in. Redman is right about the mental aspect. Confidence will improve your shooting no matter what rest you go with.

I have a trophy taker drop away, but mine has metal around it. The ground likes me so I went with metal, but I still managed to bend it up once when I fell on a log during a hunt, which cost me a shot on a good bull because I didn't know it was bent until I made a shot on a 6x a couple hours later.

I have no problem with noise because I've added felt to any places that made noise. No matter how my arrow goes during a stalk or if I'm sitting, it's quiet. The less moving parts the better for me, but I did make the switch from a WB a few years ago and have had zero issues with the drop away except the damage I caused.

There are a lot of valid points here. I think I am leaning towards some sort of drop away, at least for the summer. I will try it out for a few months and maybe through the first deer season. If it is still working good for me I'll stick with it for my elk hunt this fall. Now I just have to decide which one! I appreciate everyone's advice on here!

Also something to think about: If your bow has nock travel issues, a fixed rest like a biscuit tends to be more forgiving.

I recently switch to a drop away rest, I used a WB for about 8 yrs. When I upgraded to my ChillR I went with the rip cord drop away. I love it I doubt I'll ever go back to the WB.

I recently switch to a drop away rest, I used a WB for about 8 yrs. When I upgraded to my ChillR I went with the rip cord drop away. I love it I doubt I'll ever go back to the WB.

Don't bet on it. :lol:

TJ

I have a TT Smack down Pro and I like it alot. Its quiet, all metal and its has full containment. This is just what I have and like. Whatever you choose now a days is going to be good.

Just when you've spent the entire day getting close to your animal the WB rips off a fletch leaving an arrow doing circles...ask me how I know...I would rather trust a drop away than anything touching my arrow at the moment of truth...too many times I've seen twigs leaves etc....get stuck in a WB...

• Like 2